HT Center Speaker Enclosure Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm new to this forum and I hope I'm posting to the right place.

My question relates to Home theater and in particular to the design of enclosures. Here is the "problem", I want to build a center speaker that can be "fitted" behind a flat screen TV. the TV is not mounted on the wall so I can move the TV away from the wall a few inches. I wonder if any thoughts to building the enclosure as in the drawing, so it can be mounted in the wall behind the TV and the drivers only showing above the TV.

The drivers I envision would be like parts express 264-815 (3 " mids)and 264-834 (tweeter), similar to the "cyanosure" DIY posted in parts express' website.

any thoughts? Full of it? stick to other design?

Attachments

• ccf04112007_00001.pdf
    98.7 KB · Views: 142
I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work - it's a very practical idea - as long as the box volume is correct for the selected drivers you should get satisfactory results.

Maybe just make sure the drivers have some decent clearance above the top of the TV to minimize refraction off of it.

Greets!

Can work fine, I helped a guy with a fullrange driver rear loaded horn that hugged the wall behind his TV/equipment and did a number of both floor standing and wall hung 'pancake' speakers that blended into the wall as well as some drop-in 'panel' designs for suspended ceilings for apt. dwellers and/or basement 'rec' rooms during my building days. IIRC, Dave p-10 (a moderator here) made some with favorable results based on one my designs using 'el cheapo' 40-1197 RadioShack FR drivers several years ago.

GM

GM said:
Greets!

Can work fine, I helped a guy with a fullrange driver rear loaded horn that hugged the wall behind his TV/equipment and did a number of both floor standing and wall hung 'pancake' speakers that blended into the wall as well as some drop-in 'panel' designs for suspended ceilings for apt. dwellers and/or basement 'rec' rooms during my building days. IIRC, Dave p-10 (a moderator here) made some with favorable results based on one my designs using 'el cheapo' 40-1197 RadioShack FR drivers several years ago.

GM

Could I get more info on your el Cheapo Design.

Thanks both for the reply,

JR

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Sorry, I apparently I didn't keep them after the driver was discontinued here in the USA. I believe Dave made a drawing of at least one of them though if you have some or willing to get them from Canada. Actually, the Fostex FE103E would be a much better choice and its higher price is ~off-set by the fact that most folks don't feel the need for a super tweeter with it.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.