deceptive perception ? 1st order-2nd order question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anybody experienced a more prominent treble content in the overall sound when converting a tweeter crossover from first order high pass to second order (by adding a 0.2 coil in parallel after the 2.2 series capacitor) ?

If so, could you explain how this might happen?

Perhaps the brain notices the highest frequencies more because there is now a greater dip between them and the mid-woofer´s output?

Thanks for your pront response.

I´m using a foster ribbon tweeter.

This is my first diy speaker and started with a capacitor in series because it´s the simplest. I have no previous x-over design knowledge-other than what I´ve gleaned from this forum.

I was hearing some harsh strings in symphonic music which I wanted to smooth out while retaining the very high frequency details. ( I listen to SACD mostly). A series resistor did not achieve both goals. The coil did. And as I said, hearing the subjective stronger treble presence has baffled me.

Does a higher Q mean a narrower peak in the response?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.