Richard Allen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TO ALL AT THE FORUM!!!

I recently saw on GOOGLE a thread from this forum that Richard Allen of Arcaydis used to build speakers using his own name. That supposition is INCORRECT!!.

Richard Allen Loudspeakers actually started life as RICHARD ALLAN RADIO LIMITED in 1959. Richard Allen of Arcaydis was 1 year old at the time. Secondly, there never was a "RICHARD ALLAN". The name comes from the sons of the two people who formed the company.

In the 1990's, it became RICHARD ALLAN AUDIO LIMITED ( around 93, I think). It is part of the MAGNUM group of companies.

Arcaydis started life on 10th of October 1997. It is run by Richard Allen (note the "e" in the surname, please) and a partner.

You may be wondering how I know all this. Simple!!. Because I am Richard Allen of Arcaydis, and I should know.

The very best to all of you.

Richard J. Allen @ Arcaydis.
www.arcaydis.co.uk
arcaydis@ic24.net

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Hi Ricky

Gee, I have always thought "he" was a person, a master and genious

I bought a RichardAllan "Golden Eight Super" around 1970, a very nice sounding 8" fullrange with coated membrane and foam surround and the red felt around the chassis edge - I wish we could buy one today ;)
Later on I also heard a bigger multiway speaker still with the older drivers with red felt at the edge, and it sounded ok
Years later I saw drivers with clear poly membrane, but never heard them
Still today the name "Richard Allan" triggers memories and a certain peculiar smell of glue :)

Ricky: good to have that cleared up, I have been somewhat confused myself :)

Tinitus: I think I actually could get hold of some Richard Allans. Eight (!) eights in fact. Don`t think they are Golden Eights, but I could be wrong. Modified with alu foil "fake" phase plug by a danish friend (Mikael Søen?) of the norwegian person who now owns the speakers. The surrounds are rotted however, so refoaming/reconing will be required.

Send me an email @ tuffanega[SNABEL-A]hotmail.com, and I´ll get you in touch with him. His parents were danish, so he understands danish just fine :)

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but my account is still under moderation so I cant email you...

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Thanks Bj, its tempting and I do have a pair of Lowther Standard Acousta with modified concrete foldings, in a garage but in bad condition
As said, I am in the process of building a 3way monitor and only need to cut the wood
Then I have a 4way dipole with 2 diy ribbons and a diy 6" and I might buy the new Mach5 18", then everything is in place and "only" need assembling

I guess it will take while till I will be a "fullrange guy" again, and then maybe a coaxial would be more fun :) its impossible to "turn back the clock"

Would be nice to see a picture of your drivers ;)

First "stereo" I ever bought had two Richard Allan CG8T speakers in reflex enclosures. Very sticky corrugated surrounds. Sounded absolutely believable on tenor sax for some reason. Still have them in storage somewhere over in New Zealand. These had paper cones so not the ones in the trhead.
jamikl

Bjohannesen said:
Also take a look at this old ad, I still have ;)
http://www.coolcat.dk/bjoern/Richard_Allen.jpg
Hi Bj,
I bought the Pavane kit, but it was earlier, all three drivers had paper cones. The crossover had a lot more components than that pic show.

The Sarabande on the market at the same time did not have three tweeters, just one.
The Pavane had a power handling of just 25W but was so efficient that it played just as loud (to my ears) as it's replacement, a Tannoy Berkley (92db/W) with the amplifier set to the same level (real watts from Crimson Elektrik) .

Hi Tinitus, here they are. I have more pictures, will place those another place due to the size.
Hi from Bjorn

Attachments

• ra2.jpg
    ra2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 597
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.