Adire Extremis 6.8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2007, 01:37 AM   #1
phibes is offline phibes  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Adire Extremis 6.8

Anyone with practical experience in using the Adire Extremis 6.8? Any feedback with regard to this driver would be much appreciated. I have read these two articles http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Extremon.html http://www.rjbaudio.com/Extremis/extremis.html however I would prefer to hear of results from members who have used this driver!
Cheers,
Old 8th April 2007, 01:46 AM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Nice little mid bass. Can be called a woofer in a small room. What are you planning?
Old 8th April 2007, 01:56 AM   #3
phibes is offline phibes  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Cal,

Build is for my daughters who both prefer stand mount over floorstanding speaker and prefer a smaller rather than large speaker. They do however enjoy high SPL's and deep bass......I know it's a bit of an ask for a small driver!

Cheers
Keith
Old 8th April 2007, 02:37 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I don't like using these into the midrange, but love using them for woofers below a good full-range (a pair pr side push-push). One of these = a Fostex FE83 (or other good 3 or 4") would be interesting... you do want to use something for mid-tweeter that is as inefficient as the Extremis so you don't need to pad them down.

dave
Old 13th April 2007, 01:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think Dave is right.

I have a pair of Exodus Audio Kit 61s, and find them incredibly boring to listen to. The midrange sounds thin and recessed, and even the bass is less articulate than a good full range setup. Maybe all the cross-over components are getting in the way of what this driver can do, but what a letdown after reading the marketing hype of these drivers.

Dave, what do you think of Exodus Audio's Kit 641s? Are along the lines of what you're suggesting?
Old 13th April 2007, 04:53 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Greyhorse,

I also had trouble with them and wondered what all the fuss was about until I put them in the right cabinet and the right location. This dual 6.8 is called the Shadow and was designed by Scottmoose and Dave. Corner loading with the horn facing the corner in a 130 ft^2 room is more than enough for even a basshead like me. Until that point, I was wondering why the TB W6-1139 sounded better.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-832
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0473.jpg (42.6 KB, 480 views)
Old 13th April 2007, 07:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've had the best results either using them as a dedicated woofer or keeping them out of the lower frequencies. They can do mid-range acceptably if you keep the excursion down.
This means either a 3-way speaker or a sealed 2-way with a separate bass unit.

I'm also pretty pleased with them on an open baffle and a 6db high pass at 125Hz and mated with a Linkwitz dipole bass unit (my current 2 channel system).

However, a lot of people have enjoyed them in a vented two-way application with an expensive tweeter such as a SEAS Excel and getting the XO point down with a 4th or 6th order XO.

Dan Wiggins created the "Muse" which is an Extremis 2-way with a ribbon tweeter and electronic crossovers. They take on a completely different personality in this configuration. So much so that a few recording studios bought them for use as monitors.
Old 13th April 2007, 08:11 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by greyhorse
what do you think of Exodus Audio's Kit 641s? Are along the lines of what you're suggesting?
Not the kind of speaker i gravitate towards...

dave
Old 13th April 2007, 09:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I think Dave (if he doesn't object too much my speaking for him ) would prefer something similar to this.
http://www.rawacoustics.com/item__HT...akers,812.html
Although, knowing Dave he might choose a modded Fostex full ranger for the main driver.
While the RAW model is a floorstander I think the same idea could be applied to a stand-mount.
Old 13th April 2007, 09:48 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
I think Dave (if he doesn't object too much my speaking for him ) would prefer something similar to this.
Tim is right... i even had/have all the bits to make Als version (HT3) vrs my take on the same concept, but then Al improved things whith a simplier XO. My version would biamp & also allow me to use a miniOnken or Fonken on the top... it should be noted that the FR125 can be improced quite significantly with a fairly easy modification... it only took Al seconds to agree with me on that when i sat him down to listen to a set of modded drivers.

As well, after sitting for 2 years in my CAD file, Al is having me add my alternate "bracing" for the HT3/HTFR to the official document (just now under revision)

It should also be noted that this concept is somewhat similar to the 3-way of Tim's that so impressed me with its 6.8 bottom end.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!