Adire Extremis 6.8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don't like using these into the midrange, but love using them for woofers below a good full-range (a pair pr side push-push). One of these = a Fostex FE83 (or other good 3 or 4") would be interesting... you do want to use something for mid-tweeter that is as inefficient as the Extremis so you don't need to pad them down.

dave

I think Dave is right.

I have a pair of Exodus Audio Kit 61s, and find them incredibly boring to listen to. The midrange sounds thin and recessed, and even the bass is less articulate than a good full range setup. Maybe all the cross-over components are getting in the way of what this driver can do, but what a letdown after reading the marketing hype of these drivers.

Dave, what do you think of Exodus Audio's Kit 641s? Are along the lines of what you're suggesting?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Greyhorse,

I also had trouble with them and wondered what all the fuss was about until I put them in the right cabinet and the right location. This dual 6.8 is called the Shadow and was designed by Scottmoose and Dave. Corner loading with the horn facing the corner in a 130 ft^2 room is more than enough for even a basshead like me. Until that point, I was wondering why the TB W6-1139 sounded better.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-832

Attachments

• img_0473.jpg
    img_0473.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 598
I've had the best results either using them as a dedicated woofer or keeping them out of the lower frequencies. They can do mid-range acceptably if you keep the excursion down.
This means either a 3-way speaker or a sealed 2-way with a separate bass unit.

I'm also pretty pleased with them on an open baffle and a 6db high pass at 125Hz and mated with a Linkwitz dipole bass unit (my current 2 channel system).

However, a lot of people have enjoyed them in a vented two-way application with an expensive tweeter such as a SEAS Excel and getting the XO point down with a 4th or 6th order XO.

Dan Wiggins created the "Muse" which is an Extremis 2-way with a ribbon tweeter and electronic crossovers. They take on a completely different personality in this configuration. So much so that a few recording studios bought them for use as monitors.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Timn8ter said:
I think Dave (if he doesn't object too much my speaking for him :angel: ) would prefer something similar to this.

Tim is right... i even had/have all the bits to make Als version (HT3) vrs my take on the same concept, but then Al improved things whith a simplier XO. My version would biamp & also allow me to use a miniOnken or Fonken on the top... it should be noted that the FR125 can be improced quite significantly with a fairly easy modification... it only took Al seconds to agree with me on that when i sat him down to listen to a set of modded drivers.

As well, after sitting for 2 years in my CAD file, Al is having me add my alternate "bracing" for the HT3/HTFR to the official document (just now under revision)

It should also be noted that this concept is somewhat similar to the 3-way of Tim's that so impressed me with its 6.8 bottom end.

dave

Thought I would throw my .02 cents in here even if I don't have the experience as you guys. I have recently built the Exodus 2641 kit that uses 2 extremis drivers and the wr125 mid and I cannot say that I am overwhelmed by them as a musical speaker. However, I am running tube amps and have been told that these drivers sound better on SS.

I personally wouldn't think of using these extremis's in a musical speaker. I think that they do have incredible grunt for a little driver but I just don't sense them as being very articulate and musical. My take on the exodus kits is that they are an exceptional home theatre type of speaker but just not my thing for music. I think that the centre channel would be exceptional for that type of money.

Just my take.

Thanks,
Mike

I am not sure in what way you are asking. I wasn't intending to put the blame on the sound of the speaker entirely on the extremis. Most of my comments were geared towards the speaker as a whole. Having said that unless I am wrong in regards to a different implementation of the driver, but I still just see the extremis as grunters. Maybe I am speaking without having enough experience, but at this point that is my thought on them.

Thanks,
Mike

Midnite Mike said:

Thought I would throw my .02 cents in here even if I don't have the experience as you guys. I have recently built the Exodus 2641 kit that uses 2 extremis drivers and the wr125 mid and I cannot say that I am overwhelmed by them as a musical speaker. However, I am running tube amps and have been told that these drivers sound better on SS.

I personally wouldn't think of using these extremis's in a musical speaker. I think that they do have incredible grunt for a little driver but I just don't sense them as being very articulate and musical. My take on the exodus kits is that they are an exceptional home theatre type of speaker but just not my thing for music. I think that the centre channel would be exceptional for that type of money.

Mike,

IIRC from an earlier thread, there were several people posting that had built these speakers without the specified crossover.
I'm not sure if you were one of these, but in all fairness, without Kevin's designed crossover it really isn't an Exodus speaker.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I am not one of them. I followed as was directed. These do sound okay but I wouldn't regard them as hi fi is all. I would regard these as a very good home theatre speaker, primarily because of the pounding type of bass that those extremis are capable of delivering and a very clear vocals/midrange. However, for music I don't feel anything and to me that is why I listen to music. They do a lot of things better than my Polk Lsi15's which I regard as an average speaker as well. With the Polk's call it whatever you want but to me they are more emotionally engaging and make me feel more. During my listening sessions they submerse me more and bring me into the music. They just communicate more soul.

I don't mean to offend or anything as that is just my take, and I am only one person, but I just thought I would share my impressions.

Thanks,
Mike

Anyone with practical experience in using the Adire Extremis 6.8? Any feedback with regard to this driver would be much appreciated. I have read these two articles http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Extremon.html http://www.rjbaudio.com/Extremis/extremis.html however I would prefer to hear of results from members who have used this driver!
Cheers,

WEll having worked with the Extremis a lot I can only recommend this cross it over as low as possible.If you can around 1500hz.

As people have noted the Extremis does a great thing for bass but the driver just does not have any body in the midrange of the driver.
I have not listened to a single design that is crossed over 1750 that I can say good things about.

We had the Extremis in a MT using a custom long ribbon from Aurum Cantus and with this we crossed the Extremis at 1500hz and a 4th order.

This was the only design we found that had any merrit to it.

I have built the original 61,261 plus LCR's for Dan at Adire which were in the show room for the longest time.

What I am getting at is if you have a pair of Extremis 6.8 ,cross them low as you can.
If you do not have the Extremis 6.8 drivers you will not get any but from a person who has a few to sell.

Why the Extremis is no longer being produced and the supply is all tied up for our designs. ;) Hate to put a dent in your plans but you will find this out from any spot that did sell the 6.8.

Thanks for the info regarding the unavailibility of the 6.8 Extremis due to you having the supply locked up for your own speaker production;)............ it just gives the DIY community one less option, as was the case I believe with Focal and regretably from my own experience with Audax drivers becoming so scarce. I would have still been using Audax's aerogel drivers had they not stopped supplying to the greater DIY market!:bawling:
Anyhow, I am awaiting information on the 6.8 from the Australian distributor here in Melbourne and you never know, they may have a couple still in stock. However, given your feedback and others here I'm inclined to steer away from them because of their limitations in the mid range and the fact that I'd have to use them in a much larger enclosure [in a three way design or using Dave's full range suggestion] than I had originally intended.
Cheers,

We have a replacement for the 8 ohm Extremis coming and this has been put in the "rush" category. The goal is for it to be a drop in but with some improvements. Our designer has suggested some changes which will help the mid range without sacrificing the bottom. The part number will be SDX7.

Bob

Creative Sound Solutions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.