Magnavox Horn Specs...

HI all,

I have a pair of Magnavox 580088-1, 70.50 horn's and I,ve been looking for specifications on them, so that I may try to design a proper crossover.

Also, If any one has any driver recommendations, this would be really appreciated.

I did some googling and searched here, but did not seam to find much.

The pic attached is close to what I have, but not them. I found this pic in a ebay auction, and decided to use it as its a much clearer picture that what my poopy digi-cam can do.

Any help and advice would be great, Thanks.:D

Attachments

• mag_horns.jpg
    mag_horns.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 865
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have a pair of those. They were made by Foster.

Real screamers! Can be super harsh. If crossed up high enough, they're OK. At the moment they serve as rear firing tweeters on my open baffle. You can help them some by damping the back plastic cap and the outside of the horn throat. But a lot of the harshness comes from the driver itself. A resistor will tame some of the peaks.

Sorry I don't have any specs on them. Someday I hope to run some FR charts as well as impedence curves.

Let me know what you find - I'd like to know more.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sid216 said:
I have a pair of Magnavox 580088-1, 70.50 horn's and I,ve been looking for specifications on them, so that I may try to design a proper crossover.

Any more written on them? Indeed Foster made some of them, but i have also had the same made by Jensen & by Heppner.

dave

Attachments

• jensen-magnavox-horns.jpg
    jensen-magnavox-horns.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 723
Thanks guys. As far as and other labeling, there is a yellow lable on the magnet cap that says "Form HN-1". Thats it other than a warrenty disclaimer.

On the side by the opening of the horn there is a Logo that I tried to copy in paint, but its the best I could do with a mouse. Thanks all.

Attachments

• desing on side.jpg
    desing on side.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 621
Magnavox 580088-1

HI I JUST JOINED THE DIY AUDIO.COM GROUP WHEN SEARCHING GOOGLE FOR Magnavox 580088-1 sorry cap lock on and I'm a slow typirst and realy realy bad speller. I'm not sure of the date of your original post for the x-over but thought I woudl email you. Yesterday a friend bought an old Mag console at a garage sale in mint condition, and pulled the speaekrs, x-over and horns and the solid state gear adn tossed the cab. I thought he shoudl have saved it but spaces is an issue. We tested them and they are in mint condition. Who ever bough this console must have put it in a basement stil in the box becasue it looks like its brand new. Did yu ever find the specs for these vintage speakers? Are you still looking for the x-over? regards davidmorris

Just in case anyone cares about these horns, I guess I'll drop this here. Magnavox 580088-1 with Foster logo.

SPL is not calibrated but it shows smooth response above 4k, even the waterfall chart isn't too bad. Distortion below 4k is very bad and very audible. This is without a baffle, not sure if a baffle would make a meaningful difference. Holding the back cup in my hand makes no difference to the distortion or response.

Unfortunately it looks like there is really only one octave of good performance in these horns, and they only go up to 12k or so. Maybe 2 octaves if I'm doing something wrong to ruin 2k-4k.

Attachments

• Magnavox horn.png
    Magnavox horn.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Magnavox horn off axis.png
    Magnavox horn off axis.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Magnavox horn waterfall.png
    Magnavox horn waterfall.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Magnavox horn distortion.png
    Magnavox horn distortion.png