Replacing woofers/foam in Bang and Olufsen speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys,
I have a pair of b&o cx100's that came along from the seller with an older receiver I wanted. The woofers have foam rot, which is very common with this model, especially ones over 12 years old like mine. I could just refoam them myself at $8 a pair, but I was curious about the possibility of fitting in new woofers. The problem is, the woofers are 10cm with square flanges, and I'm having a tough time finding 10cm woofers let alone ones with square flanges (they aren't those rounded off square ones you often see). The only woofer so far I've found that looks like it might fit is a 4" goldwood on parts express, but at only $7.20 each I'm not sure they'd sound any better than just refoaming the originals even if they did fit. So do you guys have any suggestions?

I'm including 2 pics of the speakers so you can see the woofers.

Thanks,
Austin

Ok, think the pic might have been too big to load maybe...

trying again.

Attachments

• cx100small.jpg
    cx100small.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 200
Hmm, I just noticed there's a 4" Audax woofer on parts express that doesnt have the right shape flange, but the specs are identical to the b&o speaker - 6ohm and min freq. of 64 Hz. I wonder if it's basically that woofer but with a different flange. I see on Madisound there are two other 4" Audax drivers that look like they have that square flange shape.

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/audax/hm100z2.pdf

Hi,

Generally the higher the quality of a speaker the more you must
use the original drivers, so refoaming seems the only proper option.

If you didn't like the speakers in the first place, then depending
on the internal crossover complexity new drivers are possible.

:)/sreten.

Thanks for the reply Sreten! I actually really like the way they sound even with the foam missing, as I think they sound better than my Infinity Primus HT speakers. Since many speaker builders on here wouldn't consider this a high quality speaker but just an overpriced one, I thought they might be able to suggest a drop-in replacement driver that might sound even better. Nevertheless I have ordered the foams and am waiting for them in the mail.

Austin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.