DVC Wiring Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, I have some quick DVC wiring questions. For an example, I will use the 8" DVC subwoofer from Dayton (SD215-88).

The catalog states all specifications are with the voice coils wired in parallel.

1.) Impedance is rated at 4 Ohms, therefore, each coil is 8 ohms, correct?

2.) SPL is rated at 89 db. Does that mean each coil is rated at 86 dB 2.83V/1m? (you don't get the extra +3 dB for doubling cone area as you would with two woofers in parallel).

3.) If I put the LH channel in coil #1 and the RH channel into coil #2, would the SPL be the same as 5.66V/1m (2 Watts) into a 86 dB speaker?

Thanks for the link, I will take a closer look.

In respond to #3, my question is, what will be the output of the speaker be when 2.83 V (1 Watt) is put into each coil. The coils are NOT wired in series or parallel. The RH channel of the amplifier supplies one coil and the LH channel of the amplifier supplies the other coil.

In respond to #2, what is the senstivity of each coil then? I assumed wiring each coil in parallel would give you +3 dB gain, therefore each coil would be 86 dB.

If you are feeding identical signals into the left and right channels, then it is the same as having the coils in parallel with a single channel at twice the watts.

i.e. you can use a 100W (4 ohm) monoblock with coils in parallel, or a 50W (8 ohm) /channel amp with one coil to each channel. Setting aside the subtleties in damping factor, etc, it is the same.

This is a very common method for connecting DVC drivers. Also provides more flexibility in using amplifiers that might not want to see a lower impedance load, like in bridged operation. Of course, you don't have to use identical input signals (could use a stereo input), but for the illustration to your question, you would.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.