Tymphany LAT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thinking of giving the LAT a go as I'd like to build something small but with decent bass. Tymphany claim it allows you to get a big subwoofer sound in a TV or what have you. But I don't see how. The driver may be small, but doesn't it still need a large box?

On WinISD I think it needs at least 70liters to work well. Can anyone give suggestions on how this driver is supposed to be used to get good bass from a small enclosure? Do they just expect you to EQ the crap out of it?

Very interesting! For a radiating surface of 525 cm^2 (equal to a diameter of 10 inches), and Xmax of 5.5 mm, I would hardly say that the LAT 500 is equivalent to "two 10 inch subwoofers". One good 10" woofer, yes. Two subs? Eh...

The really interesting thing is that it's only 7.5 inches wide and 17 inches tall, this driver has the potential to bring unheard of spousal approval factor to a reasonably high fidelity driver. The mounting depth looks quite shallow, so the possibilities are wide open for how you integrate it into a finished speaker.

Tenson, sorry if my input hasn't been more helpful for figuring out how to work with th LAT. It really does look like you need to EQ it. They list 250 watts power handling, and with two physically separate motor assemblies I wouldn't be too skeptical about good thermal power handling. It seems like this is a match made in heaven for those fancy DSP and class D gadgets that are now possible.

Linear excursion of the LAT 500 is rated as +/- 6.7mm which is obviously 13.4mm peak to peak. The XXLS 10" sub has a surface area of only 352cm2, but a linear excursion of +/-12.5 or 25mm peak to peak!!

So yeah, nearly twice the surface area of a 10" but half the excursion of a really long throw woofer.

Still, think what a LAT could do in a 4th order band pass :O Talk about big bass from a small box! How about bass to 24Hz in a 50liter cabinet.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's definitely interesting, I'll give you that. The price of entry is just a bit too steep for me at $250 each.

At first I thought you were wrong about it having double the Sd of a 10" subwoofer, but then I checked the figure for the Peerless XLS 10", and sure enough- they only list it as 333 cm^2. The lat isn't quite double that, but it's close.

I haven't played with the sims yet to see what could get the most out of this driver. What sensitivity did you find with that bandpass alignment?

well i got 3 cubic foot enclosure which gives the lat a good extention down to 25hz but you could use it in 2 cubic feet also.
all i can say for ht it's perfect,the bass is tight fast but not articulate enouogh in my opinion for a good 2 channel system,the bass don't seem to be realistic but for a movie it's fun,definitly faster then an ordinary driver...

oh and the ports are 3"x15,don't forget you need 2 of them

i have a 1000W g amp with it but it's waaaaay overkill can't bring it more than 3.5 on the volume,so a 250w would suffice and in parrallel it gives out 4 ohms and more sensible to 89 db at 8 ohms so it should be at 92 to 94 db at 4 ohms,so shouldn't be to tough on the amp.

my room is 38' by 13' so cut the 38 in half and should fill in the room plenty

by the way mine would be available for adoption (buy)

what i have is a prototype so the frame is in aluminium not pvc like the other are gonna be,at least that's what i was told at solen.

so if interested p.m. me for the price
i know i shouldn't be selling here but this is where the interest is...

it's in excellent condition got about 3hrs of use.
it's just not big enough

i'm gonna go with a 18"

exactly,the box hardly vibrates all i have is 1" thick russian plywood and damping along the sides,no braces,for that i have to say it's vibration free compared to the equivalent drivers.and the box is in fact leaner so it can be put right in the middle of my mono blocks or anywhere along the sides of the room.

for 120$ it's cheap for what it gives just for me it' doesn't cut it for the size,i'm checking right now for a aura 15" or 18" to fill the space.

$120....

What is $120? Last I checked these were over $200 USD even at quantity pricing. How does the sound quality compare to other products you have used? Obviously only one isn't going to when any spl competitions in the lowest octaves, but multiples has a lot of appeal outside of cost.

Thanks,

C

Post #16
final test is that it can only be played for HT because it just doesn't cut it for me in terms of resolution and detail.
it doesn't sound one note bas but doesn't have the woofer sound.more mid price sub sound.the bass is tight and fast though.

Can you elaborate on this? The bass is tight and fast, it creates little to no cabinet vibration, but it doesn't have resolution and detail? maybe I'm missing something....

Do you have more than 1? I am probably still interested in the one as long as shipping from Canada isn't too expensive.

Thanks,

C

well the reproduction of detail is simply that you don't get all the nuances,but for a system that is middle end quality I think it would be a good match but not for high end.
I would recomend this sub to go with a system worth between 3000$ to 6000$.that gives an idea of detail and resolution it has,it's good but not enough for me.:xeye:

I only have one and tha one i have is made of aluminium not pvc like it supose to be because what i have is a prototype from lat that they sended to solen then that i bought.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.