Tymphany LAT - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2007, 02:51 AM   #11
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

The thing that most people come away with when they investigate this driver is that it still requires the same box size regardless of how they fold the diaphragm. Its box size that limits any sub not the diaphragm area. For that money I'd much rather have an 18" driver.
Old 19th December 2007, 05:19 AM   #12
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Maybe so, but the shape of this driver makes it usable in very narrow enclosures that can be tucked away and hidden easier, which makes this product very appealing for some.
Old 19th December 2007, 05:42 AM   #13
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DcibeL
Maybe so, but the shape of this driver makes it usable in very narrow enclosures that can be tucked away and hidden easier, which makes this product very appealing for some.

Put the driver in sideways - its a sub, orientation doesn't matter.
Old 19th December 2007, 08:49 AM   #14
APi is offline APi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee

Put the driver in sideways - its a sub, orientation doesn't matter.
One advantage might be that LAT vibrates less than conventional bass speaker. So also enclosure and room floor etc vibrate less and sound is more pure.
Old 19th December 2007, 11:08 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

exactly,the box hardly vibrates all i have is 1" thick russian plywood and damping along the sides,no braces,for that i have to say it's vibration free compared to the equivalent drivers.and the box is in fact leaner so it can be put right in the middle of my mono blocks or anywhere along the sides of the room.

for 120$ it's cheap for what it gives just for me it' doesn't cut it for the size,i'm checking right now for a aura 15" or 18" to fill the space.
Old 2nd January 2008, 05:17 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

final test is that it can only be played for HT because it just doesn't cut it for me in terms of resolution and detail.
it doesn't sound one note bas but doesn't have the woofer sound.more mid price sub sound.the bass is tight and fast though.
Old 18th January 2008, 07:47 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default $120....

What is $120? Last I checked these were over $200 USD even at quantity pricing. How does the sound quality compare to other products you have used? Obviously only one isn't going to when any spl competitions in the lowest octaves, but multiples has a lot of appeal outside of cost.

Thanks,

C
Old 18th January 2008, 11:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

well i tried xls12" from peerless,which is similar in spl,only the lat is faster.
120$is the price i would sell mine,but yes here they are sold 250$ each.
Old 18th January 2008, 11:27 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Post #16
final test is that it can only be played for HT because it just doesn't cut it for me in terms of resolution and detail.
it doesn't sound one note bas but doesn't have the woofer sound.more mid price sub sound.the bass is tight and fast though.

Can you elaborate on this? The bass is tight and fast, it creates little to no cabinet vibration, but it doesn't have resolution and detail? maybe I'm missing something....

Do you have more than 1? I am probably still interested in the one as long as shipping from Canada isn't too expensive.

Thanks,

C
Old 19th January 2008, 03:13 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

well the reproduction of detail is simply that you don't get all the nuances,but for a system that is middle end quality I think it would be a good match but not for high end.
I would recomend this sub to go with a system worth between 3000$ to 6000$.that gives an idea of detail and resolution it has,it's good but not enough for me.

I only have one and tha one i have is made of aluminium not pvc like it supose to be because what i have is a prototype from lat that they sended to solen then that i bought.

Hide this!Advertise here!