Hemp Coaxial

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi hempacoustics,

I am very interested in your 8" coaxial.

In the datasheet, it says "Best suited for bass reflex,
transmission line, horn, ......"

So, is it suitable for a front horn? For example, Oris horn?

However I'm concerned about the Qe & Qts, they seem quite high for horn loaded.

Any comments?

Thanks a lot:)

hello
I made my own filter and it probably is specific to my cabinet. I did frequency responce and impedance plots of both the driver elements and they intersected at 612hz . The high frequency out put is 6~7 db stronger than the bass so a "L" pad was made using 10watt ceramic resistors to pad the high frequency out put I used a 12 db slope Linkwitz Reily configuration and crossover point was set at 612hz with a slight hole in the middle. so basicly the bass is crosing out at 600hz and the highs coming in at 620hz. on the impedance curve for the high frequency the peak impedance is at 500hz so the driver should be crossed higher to stay away from the resonat point. I can look up the values for you if needed. here is a picture of the Vanderhorn Angel cabinet using the co15V I'm still very happy with this set up and it remains un changed for 2 years which is a record for me. i am also making smaller versions with the singel driver format 8inch also very impresive sound in a very compact rear loaded corner horn.

I tried the picture again and reduced the file size. Hope it works. If not, email me.

Attachments

• dsc00565 for web vsn.jpg
    dsc00565 for web vsn.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 890
Thanks.

I have mine running right now (running in) and they are freeing up nicely. At the moment I am using a 2mf cap and 20ohm resistor in parrallel for the X-over. That is more for low power valve gear.

As soon as I feed in Solid State they become very 'shouty' so this is the next crossover:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Will see how that sounds. Should be a good solid base to work from.

The crossover shown is the same as the one I made when I had the co8 in my angel cabinet.i sent this to Perry so maybe that is where it came from? I still have the response curve I took when I used that set up, it should work well for you . what type of cabinet do you plan for it ? Here is a picture of the crossover, I still have them...
Andrew

Attachments

• co8 crossover for web.jpg
    co8 crossover for web.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 709
Thanks for the pic again.
Yep, that is it alright. The design I have came from Solen (was pen drawn) and I did that design in Photoshop.

Up till 2 days ago the C08s were in Singular cabinets. I had to dismantle them because our house is for sale. No problem though because they were test cabinets. I liked the sound but the crossover (or lack of it) was letting them down. I am interested in other designs but I think I will go back to the Singular cabinet again but this time do them properly. ATM they are stuffed in old Energy cabinets just so I can keep putting hours on them.

I have talked to Perry as well (nice guy) and he was famililar with the crossover. Do you still have the drivers? I would be interested in those crossovers if they are for sale :)

How was the response curve?

Hello spacies, yes thats the crossover then, more of a scribble, than a drawing I didn't know it would get sent like that.
I looked up the file for the responce here it is if it not to big a file this time.
I don't have the co8's any more,I just had them on loan from Perry to make this angel cabinet for the 8 inch. I have the co15v in the larger original angel cabinet. The configuration seems to scale down nicely. I would recomend it if you can do a corner placement.The sound is very much like an open baffel with extended bass responce. Yes I will sell the crossovers if you want them i'm open for offer.Here's the response plot
Andrew

Attachments

• angel hemp co8v 1m web.jpg
    angel hemp co8v 1m web.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 700
Is this it:

337333876.jpg

Thats what Solen returned to me when I asked about a design for these drivers. I just redrew it as mentioned to make it easier for others.

Geez, I have no idea on the value of the crossovers you have. What components are in them? Maybe PM me with what you want for them and I can make a decision.

Your cabinets look very interesting. I bet the 15" really cranks with corner loading?

panomaniac said:
So Andrew, the x-over you used had the same values as that shown in spacies image?

I can do that easy - should have all the parts on hand.

Yes Micheal it's the same. I had used an iron core inductor but probably a litz air core inductor and better caps would be better. I had scavenged the inductors from parts I had pulled out of some old crossover, I don't know what the brand was. The drawing was the one I sent to Perry. i'm sure you will have no trouble making that ,and tweek it further. are you making the cabinet from the 1965 popular mechanics artical? I have another drawing that I received from my lawyers when I did the Patent search for my corner cabinet, it looks interesting too.
Aloha.

spacies said:
Is this it:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thats what Solen returned to me when I asked about a design for these drivers. I just redrew it as mentioned to make it easier for others.

Geez, I have no idea on the value of the crossovers you have. What components are in them? Maybe PM me with what you want for them and I can make a decision.

Your cabinets look very interesting. I bet the 15" really cranks with corner loading?
I can sell the crossovers for $20. for the pair and shipping but you would probably want to remake some with better components. Yes the 15inch version is increadible. I get a cabinet fc of 22hz! the corner loading is the way in my opinion. I'm going to remake the 15inch cabinet to be more appealing visualy,but performance is wounderfull as is. It easily out performs the vita vox K horn clones I had listened to for 30years. (39hz was the limit for them) I am finding that the even smaller versions still keep the low bass and the driver quality remains unaffected from 140 hz and higher. In the 15 inch the bass excursion is so small I don't know how it can make bass, but at the same time I can literaly bounce the picture on the wall above it. The bass is very well defined with no boom or mono tone,or any cabinet tone at all. The angel design has a 7 ft horn lenght for the 8 inch version and a 9ft horn lenght for the new 15 inch version,the mouth opening is the space above the wave guide so it is quite large. I don't think you can beat that in somthing that uses less than 1 sqft of floor space for the 8 inch and 2sqft for the 15 inch cabinets. i'm working on some 6.5 inch cabinets,and then I will redo the 15inch,and then start on one for the 12inch. Fun wow.
Andrew

Originally posted by maxlorenz
Anyway, usually specs sheets for coaxials rate appart LF and HF units (response/sensitivity). I want to know how low can the 2"HF unit be driven without unwanted effects, in other words, what (low) crossover point to chose...

Regards,
M

The individual drive unit measurements should be a must. I would also ask where are the off-axis response curves? Everything I find has nothing but on-axis response. I can't see how anyone would buy a speaker, especially at these prices, with incomplete data.

Dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Dutch! I did model those values in software and it looks like a x-over point of about 1200Hz, with a big dip at that point. But that's just based on a flat 8 ohms in each section, not real curves.

It's that big cap in the LP section that puzzles me. ~13uF would be the more expected value.

If I get a chance today I'll run impedance plots on the drivers, that would be better for x-over modeling. FR curves will have to wait.

That 15" Angel must be a lot of fun. Bouncing the pictures, eh? :D

edit:
are you making the cabinet from the 1965 popular mechanics artical?

No, never did put that one together, tho I'd like to. Maybe some day.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.