'T' baffle dipoles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built some Linkwitz style dipole mains with excellent results.

I'm starting to think about my surrounds now, but I have another question. I'll do dipoles again like my mains, but I have a question about positioning.

One place is for them to be mounted on the wall with one side butting up against the wall, and the other pointing out, like a sideways 'T'. I don't mean like traditional surround dipoles, as they would mounted on the rear wall and firing across at the listening position (I sit against the rear wall). This means that the wall will be acting like an extended folded baffle.

Or does it?

Will the extra long 'baffle' on that side affect the response, or will having the other side free be the determining factor.

Thanks

Steve

You do not have some picture or diagram
showing your idea.
Have you found anyone doing this before
on the web?

Linkwitz, who is a very clever man
is IN FAVOUR of Open baffle designs.

/halojoy - knows the work done by Linkwitz
:cool: he is a world-history authorithy in Speaker Designs :cool:

Steve,

Get some mdf ($10 at Bunnings) and try it. It's the only way you'll know for sure.

However, having set up a lot of HT systems, if you're against the back wall you might find it a bit of a WOFTAM having the sides at all. With properly set up mains, I find the rears and sides pretty superfluous at the best of times. My HT gear was sold off ages ago, and I don't miss it at all. I just play movies through the mains now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.