Seas Thor vs Seas Excellence

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im planning on building a new hifi and need some speakers, orginally going for monitor audio gs20 but then I got looking at diy kits, after some research I was set on the Seas Thor Transmission Line but then I saw this https://secure.wilmslow-audio.co.uk...id=32&osCsid=af0436a741f5056cb621641c88599745

It uses the same quality drivers but in a ported 3 way, I cant find out what the differences would be between the thor and the Excellence kit in terms of sound or which would even have deeper bass.

Any advice on what one to lean towards.

Both use the same quality of drivers, so all things being equal, they should both sound great and possibly very similar.

If you listen to music with very heavy bass , then the three way is likely to sound cleaner and clearer at higher SPLs. Why? because in the Thor the bass drivers are also producing the midrange, and those delicate mid frequencies will be modulated by the movement of the cone as it hammers back and forth with the bass.

The three way wont suffer this, as all deep bass should be given to the bass driver, leaving the midrange free to do its job properly.

Additionally the use of a 5" mid as apposed to the 6.5" in the Thor, pushes the resonance of the metal cone up by almost an octave. This will help to reduce the audibility of the resonance, which can colour the sound.

There are of course many other factors involved then just this. The fact one is a TL and one is reflex, the bass could sound quite different from one to the other.

Given the choice, I would choose the three way.

Provided you are not too far away from where wilmslow-audio is, you could always have a listen to them first.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.