concrete board for enclosures?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, I've searched the forum but have been unable to find an answer.

Given the discussions of Baltic Birch vs. MDF vs. solid wood where would the concrete siding material fall?

Sure, I've been able to find enclosures that use cast concrete but what about using pieces of siding cut to appropriate lengths for the constant width walls of Hedlund style horns or the Nagaoka style cabinets?

One company, James Hardie, lists theirs as 5/16" thick and it is available in widths of 5.25', 6.25", 7.25", 8.25", 9.25" and 12". The weight is 2.3 lbs per sq. ft.

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/prodhome/hardiplank.php

Any thoughts or a pointer to a discussion I messed? It could even be doubled up with glue for interlocking joints, etc.

Dale

On my current design, I'm using concrete "Hardi" board - smooth surface 1/2" thick, made & for wet environment, sandwiched in-between the 3/4" MDF exterior front baffle panel and the 3/4" baltic plywood interior front baffle panel. Using Liquid Nails to bond to the MDF & BP.

Reasons for use:
- Relatively easy to work with
- High mass
- High density
- Rigid
- I like using dissimilar type materials in speakers
- Strong & not brittle (will not crack or spall under loudspeaker type conditions) - Hurricane force resistant

Not done with the speakers, so can't discuss an end result.

Hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.