Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2007, 08:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default MiniMonitor with SS 2905/9500 and ???

Hi,

if things go as planned, in the near future I will get a pair of ScanSpeak 2905/9500 units for a very decent price. I'm thinking of using them in a minimonitor-design, max. size = (WxDxH) 6"x8"x10" (16x20x25cm) so roughly 5-5.5 litres.
Of course I then need a midbass as well...Any ideas on a possible good match with these Scan Speak drivers in the suggested (BR) enclosure? I'm thinking of the Seas CA12RCY as a good option, what do you think?

Another question:

My little daughter (14 months old now) is loving music a lot and is very attracted to loudspeakers...in the wrong way... those tiny sharp fingers can do a lot of damage to woofer or tweeter.
So I'm looking for a way to protect the units, but not with any fabric-material, but with metal grills. Examples:

Diapason (e.g Adamantes) -> metal grill covering all units
Diapason-solution

Kharma Ceramique -> one grill per unit
Kharma-solution

Any other solutions/ideas to keep the speaker fairly decent and visible and avoid my daughter to ruin the units?

No, I'm not planning to hang the speaker very high on the ceiling. I think with the placement I've got in mind the chance of her touching the speakers is limited, but hey, you never know...
Old 28th March 2007, 12:40 AM   #2
MadMutt is offline MadMutt  Australia
diyAudio Member

Troels has some designs with tiny (5ish ltr) cabinets.
Think theres one with seas mid/bass.

As for fingers, best I can think of is steel mesh.
Maybe the woven stainless from security windows.
Or for a 'funky' look see if you can find some fan grills to suit.
Old 28th March 2007, 08:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot for directing me to Troels and his designs; great fun reading... Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Fan grills is a good one, although I think I want a more "classy" look. I think I'll indeed endup looking in non-hifi places to find the right steel mesh solution
Old 28th March 2007, 10:08 PM   #4
MadMutt is offline MadMutt  Australia
diyAudio Member

Well, If fan grills suit except for looks, what I'm considering is some sort of steel grill over the driver and then a 'normal' grill with cloth.
That way you get the 'normal' look of a std speaker, yet good finger protection.
Oh, and small ones are NOT the only age group you need to be worried about.
Grrr. don't know what it is, some people just haaave to touch.

If you do steel and fabric, I'm thinking the steel can be a larger spacing between wires as the cloth will act like a trampoline.
(Can't think of the right words)
Hopefully you understand what I mean.
This would open up the possibillities, you local hardware might have some sort of light 'weld mesh' that suits.
EDIT: expanded steel/aluminium grills/filters come to mind, like vent grills.

Others like tony g and 'simple home fi'
Frankly though I don't know if they go through as much work as troels for the xover design, and that's were the speaker is made or broken.
Old 28th March 2007, 10:52 PM   #5
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Great minds think alike, I have a 5liter mini speaker on the drawing board at the moment! No point saying what I have planned yet though as it has not been shown to work
Old 31st March 2007, 08:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMutt
Well, If fan grills suit except for looks, what I'm considering is some sort of steel grill over the driver and then a 'normal' grill with cloth.
That way you get the 'normal' look of a std speaker, yet good finger protection.
Oh, and small ones are NOT the only age group you need to be worried about.
Grrr. don't know what it is, some people just haaave to touch.

If you do steel and fabric, I'm thinking the steel can be a larger spacing between wires as the cloth will act like a trampoline.
(Can't think of the right words)
Hopefully you understand what I mean.
This would open up the possibillities, you local hardware might have some sort of light 'weld mesh' that suits.
EDIT: expanded steel/aluminium grills/filters come to mind, like vent grills.

Others like tony g and 'simple home fi'
Frankly though I don't know if they go through as much work as troels for the xover design, and that's were the speaker is made or broken.
Thanks! The steel-and-fabric solution is a good one. Although I prefer to have a good view on the units and don't use any fabric, it's a nice fallback if the ideal solution isn't possible.
I indeed know the Hatt-designs of Tony G and they are indeed good contenders for my set-up. I'll contact him to see if the SS2905 can be used instead of the seas-driver he's using in his designs...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tenson
Great minds think alike, I have a 5liter mini speaker on the drawing board at the moment! No point saying what I have planned yet though as it has not been shown to work
I'm very curious to your plans, maybe they can help me a bit...any hints possible?

Hide this!Advertise here!