any driver match this speakers prfmce for le$$

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I agree with Zuki. Although there aren't any distortion tests available of the driver you linked, a while back Zaph mentioned a test of a Skaaning 12" woofer, as compared to a popular 12" in the (i think) $150 range. The Skaaning definitely had better performance, but it cost something like $750. This was in his blog, so it should be taken with a huge grain of salt- but I take it as all the proof I need that Skaaning isn't garbage. (my burden of proof is quite small, since I'll never pay that much for drivers)

A scan speak revelator costs less, and should provide excellent performance. Likewise, the Seas Excel drivers offer a metal cone solution that's in the same arena of performance, and the Peerless Exclusive drivers offer a non-metal driver that will compete.

How much are you willing to spend? Is this for a tiny 2-way, or as a mid in a three-way? Do you have a tweeter in mind?

this was for a car/truck and since car environment is not optimum, at 50 mph, i thought there might be a driver which could occupy a ib application and act as the mid/woof of a two way set up with maybe a linaeeum tweet on top.

thank you

not sure what budget is, but 350 x 2 plus s/h for car door speaks makes me ask , if someone else may have stumbled onto a 80 or 90%er of this woof for le$$ .

:confused:

AT driver with a Lineaum tweet? That's a new one ... and in a car none-the-less!

If you want IB, presumably door mounted, just look for a driver with a high Q from a quality manufacturer. The Ascendant 6.5" driver was a perfect fit for that application, if it ever becomes available again.

And me personally, I'd totally ditch the idea of using that tweet in a car. It would be a nightmare to install, and limited off-axis is just what you don't want for a car tweeter.

Right now you're best option is to start searching the car audio forums for info on the 'best' way to do speakers. Hint - It's more about the install than the drivers....

Look out for arguments over whether it's best to install the mid and tweet together in the doors / kicks or best to place the mids down low and the tweets on the dash / A pillars.

Do a search on 'rainbow effect'.

After that then start looking at suitable drivers.

Hth,

Rob.

i don't have a problem with install ability.

the linaeum makes sound in a horizontal / 360 pattern.

i can adjust tweet angles as needed.

i was just looking for a low cost driver that met the performance or a high % of the performance of the 700.00 set.
and would cover the highs upto the linaeum's lower roll off

would any of these work ?

http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID4956567DD501372-Hi-Vi-RESEARCH.aspx?page=1

If the tweeter made sound in a 360 patttern then there would be no need for you to adjust the angle of it.

Fact is tweeters beam. In a car install the beaming can be useful to enable a central image for both front seats. Off axis attenuation can help compensate for the extra volume you get by sitting closer to one speaker than the other.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Rob.

how can i say emits in a 360degree pattern on horizontal plane

linaeum/aura tweet doesn't really beam. it has a softer output if that makes sense.

it is not a piezo horn

was looking for driver suggestions that will mate with it,
driver go up into 2-3500 range if possible.

:confused:

Doug Purl

this guys name pops up alot. but all i can find is him writing that if you add a baffle to ribbon, it makes cancellations in regards to the width of any baffles.

i am not planning to use a baffle. i just don't want the ribbon damaged by a accidiental touch or foot placement in car.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.