Usher 8945A + BG neo3?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently designing similar driver and different tweeter, my approach is as follows:

1. I bought a second hand active x-over eg. DCX3400 or 2300 for testing, you can tweak the x-over till the sounds ok. then you may want a passive x-over as model 3400 and 2300 may not sound as good. My current set sounds better than the original commercial x-over.

2. if you want to progress further, you may want to replace 3400 with DCX2496 which I am waiting for a 2nd hand unit on ebay. This combination will lift me to the next level of sound quality.

There are many people using the 2nd combination and are very happy with them, there are a few sites around discussing this combination, the disadvantage is that you have to use more 1 amplifier, at the same time you get better imaging, openness and bigger sound with more than one amplifier.

One thing to notice the Usher needs 2-3khz x-over region and Beo needs at least 3kHz, the combination is marginal, I may be wrong. Both drivers are excellent for that price point, whether they match I don't know, please let me know. Has any of your friends try them yet?

ttan98 said:

One thing to notice the Usher needs 2-3khz x-over region and Beo needs at least 3kHz, the combination is marginal, I may be wrong. Both drivers are excellent for that price point, whether they match I don't know, please let me know. Has any of your friends try them yet?

I'm probbably going to use an op-amp based active crossover - I can't afford a DCX2496!

I know that the 4th order active crossover was used with the 8945A at 2.5khz
http://www.hiaudio.co.uk/UA/6371.htm
and that the popular Cryolite crosses over at 2.4khz
http://www.lonesaguaro.com/speakers/DaytonRS7/Cryolite.htm

so, I figure that together they should work fine.

If you want to build one try buying second hand DCX2300, it is cheaper and avoid all the hassles. Only disadvantage, it 4 order only.

I bought my DCX3400 2nd hand for AUD$80.0 or US$55, you are in the States you can get them very easily and cheaper as well off Ebay.

Stack it on top of your amp., you can remove the rack mounting handle and it looks like normal equipment. Really....

If you build one you have to buy the parts and then hours of testing them, you will be surprised the parts costs can be much more than you expect. If you buy 2nd hand 2300, after you are tired of it, sell it you still can get some money back, your own build unit no one will buy it.

So the decision is easy, I also found out 8945 and ribbon tweeter need 4th order LR filter which is provided by 2300 or 3400. See I am still inclined towards commercial X-over.

The decision is yours. My 3400 works very well.

ttan98 said:
Stack it on top of your amp., you can remove the rack mounting handle and it looks like normal equipment. Really....

I don't have a rack. I don't even have much of an amplifier, currently - I'm looking to use some of the old ApexJR Alesis modules, modified, to drive the speakers.

ttan98 said:

So the decision is easy, I also found out 8945 and ribbon tweeter need 4th order LR filter which is provided by 2300 or 3400. See I am still inclined towards commercial X-over.

Sigfried Linkwitz seems to think that ordinary op-amps and capacitors work pretty well.

my knowledge of active x-over the tolerance of components such as capacitor may change x-over freq., if i remember correctly will also change the phase...

commercial x-over, they can get close tolerance capacitors..hence can get better x-over freq and phase.

anyway go with your drift...i have said enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.