Fixing speakers to stands

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Hoping to get some practical advice here.

I am about to build myself some stands, but that is not the issue. I have 2 young children who naturally run around a lot - so I would like my speakers to be reasonably stable.

Assuming that I can build a pair of stands that are stable, what recommendations would people give for fixing the speakers to the stands - so they should not be accidentally knocked off?

Currently considering such high tech methods as blue tac (same name everywhere?), sticky pads, screws etc.

Thanks

James

I believe Blue Tac is blue tac no matter where you go.. :) we also have Yellow Tac here in the Great South Land, but it doesn't like out hot climate and becomes yellow sticky.. not yellow tacy.. :( ohh, and it doesn't stick very well.. lol... I suppose the way you attach it is upto you... if you use screws, nuts and bolts or whatever, its your speakers you are making holes in.. If you use Blue Tac, its your kids who might end up with a bump on the head.. or were you more woried about the speakers getting damaged.. :)

There is also a product called "Quake Hold" that you can find if you do a google search. It is similar to blue tack and is used, or so the packaging claims, by museums.

My wife reports improved midrange microdetail, faster bottom octave bass response and transendental high frequency clarity when she uses it on her collectable Fiesta ware.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
STICKY FINGERS.

Hi,

What you need to consider is the stability of your stand as such.

If the bottom side is Y-shaped,you will have more stability by extending the legs.
Especially the forked part of the Y needs extension.
Granted,this will consume more real estate.

To fix your units to the top of the stand,I would recommend screwing the bottoms between topplate of the stand and speaker together.

In that way,whenever the kids fool around,they're really going to have to lean on the stand to make it trip.

Just a thought,;)

Thanks

I was thinking of screwing the speakers to the bottom plate.

And to fix the stands to the floor - I was considering bolting them down - the carpet is old after all - then they will definately not move.

Luckily the carpet will not be changed until the kids are older - and not quite so messy - and hence able to avoid knocking into the speakers anyway...

Cheers
James

Or try external speaker case for the speaker, without damaging to the speakers.

Attachments

• spstand.jpg
    spstand.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 168
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.