How to connect a set of loudspeakers to computer.. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2007, 08:15 AM   #1
Jshen is offline Jshen  Canada
diyAudio Member

Unhappy How to connect a set of loudspeakers to computer..

I noticed I have a set of old speakers (Community CSX35-S2) sitting around in my basement and I would love to connect them to my computer. I also have an amplifier (Peakey CS400X) to power both speakers. I was wondering how to connect my computer to the amp then to the speakers. Someone please help me out.

Thanks,
James
Old 24th March 2007, 08:31 AM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

If you know how to connect the Peavey, you simply need an interconnect from the (normally green) output female jack of the PC to the amplifiers input.

/Hugo
Old 24th March 2007, 09:42 AM   #3
Jshen is offline Jshen  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sorry, but please bare with me. I am complete newbie with this whole audio thing. How do I interconnect the two? do i need an adapter of some sort? and also where are the inputs for the amp.
Old 24th March 2007, 10:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Take a pic of the back of your amp showing the connections, and we will be able to help more effectively.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 24th March 2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

You will need a stereo 3.5 mm mini jack to RCA cable, then stick on the ends of that a couple of RCA to 1/4 mono Phono jack adaptors. This lead will now connect your pc to your amplifier. You plug the 3.5mm mini jack end into the computer soundcard line out, then the other end into one of the holes marked "high Z input", one in channel A and the other in channel B. Your speakers connect to the connections marked "outputs". Do you have speaker leads? Make sure the buttons marked PL2 are switched out, and that the mode switch is set to "stereo". Be careful with the volume controls at first, this is a powerful amp.
Old 24th March 2007, 10:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default back of the amp

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th March 2007, 10:43 AM   #7
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Wow, pretty complex amp....I don't know the amp at all, but I think you need one cable from minijack to two mono jacks to go from your PC to the amp. And two mono jackplugs to connect your speakers....

The banana connection (red-black screw terminals...) seems to only output in bridge mode....

So you connect one speaker to the one, the other to the other rusty jack (where there's a '!' in a triangle...) and I think you should use the jacks where it says 'inputs', not the high Z input....

I also think all the switches are in the right position....
Old 24th March 2007, 10:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I think the inputs that are marked "inputs" are for the built in crossover, not for normal use. Also, the red and black banana terminals will be for normal stereo or bridge mode. The photo is of one channel only, here is the whole back panel
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th March 2007, 11:32 AM   #9
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Here is a more visual explanation of the above.

/Hugo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pvitc.jpg (75.9 KB, 134 views)
Old 24th March 2007, 03:14 PM   #10
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

looks ok Hugo, thanks, maybe another a pic from the top of the amp, looks interesting anyway....

Vincent

Hide this!Advertise here!