How to connect a set of loudspeakers to computer..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I noticed I have a set of old speakers (Community CSX35-S2) sitting around in my basement and I would love to connect them to my computer. I also have an amplifier (Peakey CS400X) to power both speakers. I was wondering how to connect my computer to the amp then to the speakers. Someone please help me out.

Thanks,
James

You will need a stereo 3.5 mm mini jack to RCA cable, then stick on the ends of that a couple of RCA to 1/4 mono Phono jack adaptors. This lead will now connect your pc to your amplifier. You plug the 3.5mm mini jack end into the computer soundcard line out, then the other end into one of the holes marked "high Z input", one in channel A and the other in channel B. Your speakers connect to the connections marked "outputs". Do you have speaker leads? Make sure the buttons marked PL2 are switched out, and that the mode switch is set to "stereo". Be careful with the volume controls at first, this is a powerful amp.

back of the amp

IMG_4531.jpg

Wow, pretty complex amp....I don't know the amp at all, but I think you need one cable from minijack to two mono jacks to go from your PC to the amp. And two mono jackplugs to connect your speakers....

The banana connection (red-black screw terminals...) seems to only output in bridge mode....

So you connect one speaker to the one, the other to the other rusty jack (where there's a '!' in a triangle...) and I think you should use the jacks where it says 'inputs', not the high Z input....

I also think all the switches are in the right position....

Let me head out today and purchase an adapter (3.5mm > 2 rca). I already seem to have a cable that plugs into the inputs of the amp. I guess we are done with the back now.

Now the front, there are 2 nobs. 1 for channel a and the other for channel b. they are marked "input sensitivty" what should I turn them to? Are they just "volume" nobs?

James

AWESOME! went to the audio store near by and bought an adapter. everything is working perfectly, well almost. 1 of the 2 speakers arent working.

The output lines connect to the speakers with a 1/4" phone connector. i took the 1/4" phone connector apart and the soldering job seem to have broke. is there a guide on how to solder them back?

James

Here is a guide that will show you the basics, although the connectors will be different. http://www.librarysmith.co.uk/empathy/navigation.php?help=cablehowto
Use your good lead to see how it should look. If you need to diagnose where the fault is, try swapping things around, ie left speaker to right, left input to right, and see if the fault follows the change you made. It sounds like you have found the fault though in the bad solder joint. Your other option is to take it to a local tv repair guy and get him to do it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.