Audax HM130Z0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
5th element said:

I guess thats a sign telling me NOT to try changing the motor :p

I'm not sure of the exact specifics of the Audax motor but I notice they use a Kapton VC which was recommended as an 'upgrade' for the AT motor. If you look at the TS specs on the HM100Z0 they look to me as if the motor is good. Nice efficiency, good BL, can't see nothing wrong TBH so you'd probably be splitting up a winning team.

The AT's are nice drivers but I wasn't as impressed with them as I was the RAAL or ATC when I first heard those.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Tenson said:
Do you wish you had gone with the ATC as mid again then? Or if cost was the issue, a single woofer, ATC and RAAL?

Well I wasn't sure about the AT's performance until I'd heard them of course but now with experience I could say I would have gone with ATC's. Note that I said "could". Four of the ATC's buys you a nice used runabout or a few months worth of morgage repayments. That's a lot of money just for a few drivers.

But given if you took the price tags away then, yes, I'd have gone with the ATC's.

You've heard BBV's PMC setup so you'll have a fair idea of what the ATC sounds like. May or may not be your cup of tea but for it just does it for me.

Not sure about the single woofer, I'd done that with the perceives so maybe not much difference there. Not unless I'd gone with a 15 or 18" anyway. Tough to say, there's just so many options.

One thing I am sure about is I know that I'm not going to be keeping this latest project much longer than the meet. They're too big for my listening space and I seriously think I'm a dipole fan after hearing the RAAL and AT's setup that way. But thats another story.

ShinOBIWAN said:

One thing I am sure about is I know that I'm not going to be keeping this latest project much longer than the meet. They're too big for my listening space and I seriously think I'm a dipole fan after hearing the RAAL and AT's setup that way. But thats another story.

..say, did I tell you about this idea I had. . .. .... ..... ........ :devilr: :angel: :D

:)

Here I endup into a more filosofical question:
Why do I buy things if not I use them?
Is it just the power pleasure of be The Owner of Things?

See my Attachment photo, from today.

I have 2 pieces of Audax HM130Z0. In mint condition :D
Just doing nothing last 5 years!!! but collecting dust in my room.
... and there is plenty of dust around .. I fancy more reading www.diyaudio.com .. than doing my necessary cleaning :(

Any good plans suitable for AUDAX HM130Z0 are welcome.

Preferably some small 'monitor like' 2-way speaker.
Note:
I am not very much botherer with low bass here. ( I have good bassreflex floor standers for this )
The important would be natural midrange and vocals.
I prefer SEALED BOXES .. for good transient behavior.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

With these Audax 5 inch + some Soft dome tweeters, I can think to test these:

Maybe affordable VIFA silk dome Vifa D27TG-45-06
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Or for more 'hifi correct' high frequency reproduction,
the 3/4 inch Scan-Speak D2010/8513
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Lineup - gettin old and collectin' dust ... himself

Attachments

• audax_hm130z0_a.jpg
    audax_hm130z0_a.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 381
Just a couple of more images of Audax HM130Z0.
Because a good driver deserves to be looked at.

Quality is often not only in figures/data.
Before decide/buying we should make a visual inspection.
Do we like what we see?
We can benefit from knowing what a good woofers/drivers looks like.
Compare some details we can not find in numbers/data alone.

:) Here is photo number 2.
I just post one more after this.
Lineup

PS. I have reduced image file sizes very much. DS.

Attachments

• audax_hm130z0_b.jpg
    audax_hm130z0_b.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 377
Hi! Im verry happy to have found this thread as i just found a couple of brand new hm130z0 drivers in the basement. but when im trying to design a cabinet for the drivers im missing som of the parameters and I would be werry grateful if someone could help me to figure them out

The parameters i miss:
MMD in gram
MMS in gram
BI in N/M
RMS in Ns/M

And Im not lazy, I have realy tried to figure them out, but as Im quite new to building speakers i havent had much success

Btw: the program im using is lspCAD 6.20 Pro, so if someone has all the correct parameters for that program that would be grate!
and sorry fore the bad english, im from sweden...

Here is what I did with 4 of them:

In Praise of Aethers, Baffle Studies and LEDE - Techtalk at Parts-Express.com

Also, you should check out Dick Olsher's Poly Natalia speaker system at his blackdahlia.com web site.

These Audax midranges are excellent. They are not bass/mid drivers. You could use them 1st order high pass at around 600 hz and then low pass them with a .47 mH inductor and an 8 mf/6 ohm zobel.

I love the sound of the MTM open baffle system using them.....

Dick West

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.