Help Needed...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So a while ago i decided to go the DIY route. I have a great guy who give lots of advice, however seems to be really only concerned with getting the best sound and doesn't really consider the critical 'WAF' factor that i have to deal with. So so far I have ScanSpeak 12M/431G midrange. I was going to use he's SEAS 25F-EWX woofers and some Heil air motion tweeters. But am now leaning towards the S/S 6600 tweeter.

He reccomends using seperate boxes, one for the woofer and one for the midrange/tweeter. This is to seperate the resonances caused by the woofer. He reccomends using an amp plate in the woofer boxes so that a simple two way crossover is used for the midrange/tweeter.

So really i'm throwing this open to get as much advice as possible. What do you guys think of the plans so far and the tweeter and woofer choices? How many people use amp plates to avoid using a 3-way crossover and get a flatter response from the woofer? Is that a better way to go? etc...

Cheers,
Warnsey

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Sounds like a good plan to me, though I can't comment on the driver selection beyond that the various SS or Seas loaded speakers I've auditioned have all been very good as low efficiency designs go. I do recommend you stick with one brand though and ask the manufacturer which models were designed to complement each other.

GM

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
The idea with seperate boxes might make it easier to build, otherwise I dont think its really important

Here you can get a plateamp that can xo up to 200hz, the highest I have seen, and just about as low you can go with this small midrange

http://www.clofis.nl/nl/proton/proton_overig.htm

Tweeter ... GM might be right, sticking to one product - BUT I would still consider Vifa XT19 - its very sweet sounding, AND if you can do without attenuation, you might gain some exstra quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.