Horses for courses - Optimal boxes for different passbands

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
low-mass aka cat in pidgeons

Not CLD, but another local who used to teach speakers in college, makes drivers, ESLs, dipoles etc, last night suggested
“These are the L/R speakers for the Plasma surround system, used above 50 Hz.
Front is 18 mm chipboard.
Top, bottom & sides are two layers of 3 mm MDF (3 mm is not a typo).
Back is single layer 3 mm MDF.
Raw box weight is about 2.5 kg. Inside is lined all over with 2 layers of "Bostic Sheetform", which took it up to about 6 kg.

The rebuilt Jordan-Watts (weighing 4 kg, and used up to 600 Hz) is decoupled from the box with thick felt gaskets.

Very little panel movement on music, and boxy coloration is nearly as low as the open-baffles in my main stereo system (these, of course, have none).

If I ever need box speakers, I will do this again, except I would interleave the 4 layers”
. .

Dave

Some interesting ideas. (I’ll do an open baffle when space and time permit) . .
I’m hoping to avoid going nuts ;)

(with sone other readin as well) I see the benefits of aperiodic. I wonder why they’re uncommon among commercial designs currently available?

the Fonken is a verry interesting combination, what would be the best choice for panels: birch ply, say 12 mm?

“Coupling as much of the driver to as much of the box as possible helps” -
doesn’t that maximise the transmission of driver vibration to the box?

Cheers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rick57 said:
I wonder why they’re uncommon among commercial designs currently available?

They are hard to market, and no-one has accurate tools to model them... World design has an aperiodic kit, loosely base on the Dynaco A25 (same designer). The A25 could well be the speaker that holds the record for most units sold -- it was aperiodic.

[the Fonken is a verry interesting combination, what would be the best choice for panels: birch ply, say 12 mm?

that is as designed (uses a 18mm baffle). I am re-jigging for 15mm material for economy of material.

“Coupling as much of the driver to as much of the box as possible helps” -
doesn’t that maximise the transmission of driver vibration to the box?

Exactly... instead of the baffle getting all the energy, we are spreading it over the entire box. A lower energy density means you are less likely to excit panel resonances.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.