Efficient Bookshelf? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Whit is offline Whit  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Efficient Bookshelf?

I'm trying to find either a kit or plans for a somewhat efficient bookshelf, but so far I haven't had much luck. I am looking for around 87db/w/m. I would really appreciate any recomendations. Thanks.

Whit
Old 14th March 2007, 04:57 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to joe carrow
1) How large is too large?
2) What kind of material do you listen to- do you need extremely low bass?
3) Do you listen at a high SPL?
4) What kind of amp will you use- solid state, or tube? Specifically, is it OK for 4 ohm loads?

These are important questions for coming up with a good project. My bookshelf might be larger than your bookshelf, you know?

Just guessing, but I think that something on the large side with a paper woofer is what's going to do it for you. I'll look around a bit if you don't mind answering my questions.
Old 14th March 2007, 05:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

http://www.parts-express.com/project.../homeaudio.cfm
Old 14th March 2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Whit is offline Whit  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Joe,

1) I'd like them to be 14hx9wx13d or smaller if possible.

2) I mainly listen to jazz and classical so I don't need extremely low bass.

3) No, I like around 70-75db.

4) It will be a solid state class-D amp. 4 ohm loads are ok.
Old 14th March 2007, 07:00 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
1) I'd like them to be 14hx9wx13d or smaller if possible.

2) I mainly listen to jazz and classical so I don't need extremely low bass.

3) No, I like around 70-75db.

4) It will be a solid state class-D amp. 4 ohm loads are ok.
Fonkens. 91-92 dB, 14 x 8 5/8 x 11 3/4.

Click the image to open in full size.

1st entry on the Fostex box-plan library page

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/boxes-fostex.html

I'm predudiced but think they really are stunning. I listen mostly to jazz with classical taking a big up-tick recently. These seem to work well with Class D amps.

dave
Old 14th March 2007, 09:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I still haven't purchased a small full-range driver to see what that's all about, although a lot of people like them. Still, I'm not sold on the idea.

According to models based on excursion, I have a fairly good idea of when my present speakers ought to start sounding horrible. Sure enough, if I feed them some loud bass they do start to freak out as predicted. With a small driver with low Xmax, I can't help but think that without some major horn loading there would be a major limitation in dynamics and bass. Give them bass bins and I might be on board.

I do agree with the part about Class-D amps, though. This kind of driver has often been said to work best with tube amps. Tube amps have a higher output impedance than solid state, something they share in common with Class-D.

With and classical, I kind of like the shallow roll-off of a sealed enclosure. Sure I'm not getting the deep notes, but the way the response tapers off sort of leaves them to my imagination and doesn't sound as unnatural as a ported box that's overdoes the bass. Extended bass shelf tunings sound nice to my ears.

I don't know of any good projects right now, but I'll keep my eyes out.
Old 14th March 2007, 09:30 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by joe carrow
I still haven't purchased a small full-range driver to see what that's all about, although a lot of people like them. Still, I'm not sold on the idea.

You need to hear a set of these then

Quote:
With and classical, I kind of like the shallow roll-off of a sealed enclosure. Sure I'm not getting the deep notes, but the way the response tapers off sort of leaves them to my imagination and doesn't sound as unnatural as a ported box that's overdoes the bass.
The Fonken is designed to be more like an aperiodic box than a ported box. The bass they do produce (est 65-70 Hz) is well defined and nice. I've not been able to drive them over the edge with any of the amps i have... even when used in HT with mains set to large.

dave
Old 14th March 2007, 11:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

For the entry price of $36.50 at Madisound, I'm intrigued. I already have an 0.38 cu ft enclosure from Parts Express. If I had an FE127 in this box with an aperiodic port, do you suppose I'd get the general idea of what's nice about these single driver speakers?
Old 15th March 2007, 01:28 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You would get the general idea. The rough edges on the drivers get smoothed over with driver mods. You'd have to shrink your box a bit -- but these MDF boxes really need some serious bracing anyway.

These ones?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=302-710

If it were a tiny bit taller it could be made into a foldeed diyAudio FR Ref ML-TL... it should be big enuff to squeeze a Fonken-ish design into.

dave
Old 15th March 2007, 01:31 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joe carrow
with an aperiodic port/QUOTE]

The porting is a bit trickier than that, to get decent bass it need sto be nearly aperiodic. This is achieved by using a very high width to height ratio on a long port (i think i calced it at something like 50:1.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!