Speaker impedance - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2007, 07:17 AM   #1
zega55 is offline zega55  Croatia
diyAudio Member
 
zega55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zagreb
Question Speaker impedance

Hi people
I have a question and it goes like this
If I add a resistor in series with tweeter will I change his impedance (for crossover design)?
__________________
Ivan
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 07:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Great City of Turnhout, Belgium
Blog Entries: 7
Default Re: Speaker impedance

Quote:
Originally posted by zega55
Hi people
I have a question and it goes like this
If I add a resistor in series with tweeter will I change his impedance (for crossover design)?

Yes, of course.
Now, if you want to attenuate the tweeter without changing the load for the xover, you need a two-resistor attenuator that gives the required attenuation, while keeping the resulting load the same.
What is the tweeter impedance, and how much do you want to attenuate it?

Jan Didden
__________________
If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news? - W. S. Maugham
Check out Linear Audio!
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 08:48 AM   #3
zega55 is offline zega55  Croatia
diyAudio Member
 
zega55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zagreb
I wanted know was I righ by saying that the load changes. Some people told me that I was wrong and it got me thinking so I asked. If I add a 2ohm resistor in series with tweeter his impedance will then be 8ohm. DC resistance of the voice coil is 4,8ohm (so it is a 6ohm speaker).
The midwoofer is 90db and tweeter is 91db so the attenuation of 1db is ok?
Thank you for your help.

sorry for my english I dont use it often
__________________
Ivan
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 09:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Great City of Turnhout, Belgium
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally posted by zega55
I wanted know was I righ by saying that the load changes. Some people told me that I was wrong and it got me thinking so I asked. If I add a 2ohm resistor in series with tweeter his impedance will then be 8ohm. DC resistance of the voice coil is 4,8ohm (so it is a 6ohm speaker).
The midwoofer is 90db and tweeter is 91db so the attenuation of 1db is ok?
Thank you for your help.

sorry for my english I dont use it often

Your attenuation is: 20 log (6ohms/2+6 ohms) = about -2.5dB in voltage.

Jan Didden
__________________
If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news? - W. S. Maugham
Check out Linear Audio!
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 04:47 PM   #5
zega55 is offline zega55  Croatia
diyAudio Member
 
zega55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zagreb
Quote:
Originally posted by janneman



Your attenuation is: 20 log (6ohms/2+6 ohms) = about -2.5dB in voltage.

Jan Didden

this is a formula by wich it is calculated? That 2 in formula is the resistor I added in series with tweeter?
So if I add a 1ohm it will be:

20 log (6/1+6)= about -1.34db and will the tweeter impedance then be 8 ohm? Is their a formula for that?
__________________
Ivan
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overall speaker impedance erob Multi-Way 5 19th January 2009 09:04 PM
OPT impedance vs. speaker kvk Tubes / Valves 4 16th April 2008 05:37 PM
Speaker Impedance PhilR Tubes / Valves 8 21st December 2003 06:23 PM
Speaker impedance not what it seems? annex666 Multi-Way 9 8th September 2003 12:13 AM
Speaker Impedance RobPhill33 Multi-Way 2 14th January 2003 07:55 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:42 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2