Speaker impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
zega55 said:
Hi people
I have a question and it goes like this
If I add a resistor in series with tweeter will I change his impedance (for crossover design)?

Yes, of course.
Now, if you want to attenuate the tweeter without changing the load for the xover, you need a two-resistor attenuator that gives the required attenuation, while keeping the resulting load the same.
What is the tweeter impedance, and how much do you want to attenuate it?

Jan Didden

I wanted know was I righ by saying that the load changes. Some people told me that I was wrong and it got me thinking so I asked. If I add a 2ohm resistor in series with tweeter his impedance will then be 8ohm. DC resistance of the voice coil is 4,8ohm (so it is a 6ohm speaker).
The midwoofer is 90db and tweeter is 91db so the attenuation of 1db is ok?
Thank you for your help. :up:

sorry for my english I dont use it often

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
zega55 said:
I wanted know was I righ by saying that the load changes. Some people told me that I was wrong and it got me thinking so I asked. If I add a 2ohm resistor in series with tweeter his impedance will then be 8ohm. DC resistance of the voice coil is 4,8ohm (so it is a 6ohm speaker).
The midwoofer is 90db and tweeter is 91db so the attenuation of 1db is ok?
Thank you for your help. :up:

sorry for my english I dont use it often

Your attenuation is: 20 log (6ohms/2+6 ohms) = about -2.5dB in voltage.

Jan Didden

janneman said:

Your attenuation is: 20 log (6ohms/2+6 ohms) = about -2.5dB in voltage.

Jan Didden

this is a formula by wich it is calculated? That 2 in formula is the resistor I added in series with tweeter?
So if I add a 1ohm it will be:

20 log (6/1+6)= about -1.34db and will the tweeter impedance then be 8 ohm? Is their a formula for that?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.