isosceles tetrahedron formula - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2003, 09:54 PM   #11
kneadle is offline kneadle  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kneadle
Default Re: Re: Re: Discrepancy

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Mine was a guess pulled from my head (from info stored there a long time ago). If Rod solved the integral correctly then i probably just mis-remembered. Maybe the 1/6 should be 1/3?

dave
Are you SURE you're not thinking equilateral tetrahedron? Because if you're SURE that an isosceles tetrahedron is a regular solid, then my problems are over.

Dave
Old 13th January 2003, 10:30 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Discrepancy

Quote:
Originally posted by kneadle
Are you SURE you're not thinking equilateral tetrahedron? Because if you're SURE that an isosceles tetrahedron is a regular solid, then my problems are over.
Ya i think i'm just out to lunch. Perhaps your use of the word tetrahedron made me not think it thru since it won't be a tetrahedron without having sides that are 4 identical equalateral triangles.

dave
Old 13th January 2003, 10:49 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I don't mean to laugh, but any four-sided solid is a tetrahedron. There's the equilateral tetrahedron, the isosceles tetrahedron and the true irregular tetrahedron.

I love this forum, though. You, in particular, are very helpful. I read a lot of your posts and, in the process, have learned a lot.

I'm still porting this design...

Dave
Old 13th January 2003, 11:06 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

OK, just call me out to lunch today...

I used to eat this stuff for breakfast (Honours Degree in Math)

dave
Old 14th January 2003, 12:11 AM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

I'm thick...(and intrigued). Could you draw me a picture of what you are trying to achieve?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 14th January 2003, 12:40 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Trying to imagine, first, not achieve

I have a pair of equilateral tetrahedron speakers, which have been destroyed in the course of history. I want to keep the tetrahedronal concept, but design them better. The picture is the front baffle with a 6 1/2" Vifa P17WG00-06 and a Vifa D27TG05-06 aligned.

There will be a total of 4 baffles (if this idea survives). The bottom one will be an equilateral triangle of 21" or so (it needs to be reasonably narrow). The other three are shaped exactly the same, like the one pictured, creating a reasonable volume in the shape of an isosceles tetrahedron to let the woofer speak. You basically see the front baffle, and that's it, as shown. However, as was pointed out, it's hard to come up with enough volume in a tetrahedron.

Right now I haven't bought anything but the drivers, so I'm only imagining. In fact, I'm quite intrigued by the T-Line concept, and would like to e-mail planet10 if he will not be against private e-mails.

Tetrahedra are soooo sexy, though. The wife wants them painted white with pictures of clouds and rainbows on them.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tetrabaffle.jpg (15.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 14th January 2003, 12:44 AM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

Ahhh, now I understand! Pyramid Power!!

So will you be using them to keep your razor blades sharp as well?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 14th January 2003, 12:48 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

We're having a baby, so there has to be a foam ball on the tippy-top to prevent baby from impaling herself...

...or Daddy, when he's trying to open a window or get a book.

Hide this!Advertise here!