New Scan-Speak D3004/660000 Distortion Tests - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2007, 06:11 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tktran303
On the other hand, both John Krutke and Mark K's measurements did not show this phenomenon. All HD components were very low, including H2.

Mark K's findings-
http://www.markk.claub.net/Testing/S...eerlessHDS.htm

John Krutke's findings-
http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/compare.html
The Zaph measurements show some interesting phenomena common to some recent tweeters: the SS 7100 and the Seas Crescendo both have a 2 dB step between 2 and 3 kHz, which also shows up as a ridge of delayed energy in the CSD measurements.

Amusingly enough, the Millennium still seems to have the overall cleanest CSD: despite some minor ridges here and there, the worst of its sins is better than the worst of the new tweeters even though the new ones might have ranges where they're better. Perhaps that might account for its ongoing popularity.
Old 12th March 2007, 01:22 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tenson
Yeah, but I happen to agree with you
Off topic but I'll be very quick.

Welcome to the club. Which did you go for, the 140-15 or the 70-10?
Old 12th March 2007, 01:34 PM   #13
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks, Joe.

That is certainly one of my favorite two or three places in the world. Great pix.
Old 12th March 2007, 01:58 PM   #14
MBK is offline MBK  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Actually what I see in these measurements is mainly that the H2 follows the fundamental fairly closely in both tweeters, down to 1 kHz.

The HDS's FR drops below 2k and so does its H2 - therefore the *relative* H2 is fairly constant. The SS's FR is fairly flat down to 1k and so is its H2 - so the *relative* proportion of H2 is also constant. H2 looks higher in the SS belwo 2k, but again this may be an artefact of the higher level fundamental of the SS in this frequency region.

Below 1k the *relative* H2 rises in both the HDS and the SS, if you take the difference between fundamental and harmonic.

So basically to make sense you'd have to compare at equal SPL for each frequency, and express the harmonics as a percentage, or a dB difference.
Old 12th March 2007, 02:35 PM   #15
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default HDS

I use the HDS in my bedroom rig, great 'lil tweet!
Old 13th March 2007, 05:52 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi,

With all your interests in the HDS tweeter, I am tempted to try it. I looked at the datasheet from the Tymphony site, and it does not have the impedance marks on the impedance curve! How do I use the tweeter then?

Anyone has the FRD and ZMA files? or the datasheet with the impendance curve and the marks?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 13th March 2007, 06:07 AM   #17
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Zaph has a plot with impedance. You'd be able to create ZMA files from that.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/fr.html
Old 13th March 2007, 09:42 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

To add to the confusion, my HD measurements (not shown) of early 2006 samples produce HD2 at -50 dB below response, HD3, HD4 > 60 dB. All measurements performed with Praxis. Therefore my results are in line with those of Zaph and Markk whom also tested early versions.
Old 13th March 2007, 10:28 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally posted by LaMa
To add to the confusion, my HD measurements (not shown) of early 2006 samples produce HD2 at -50 dB below response, HD3, HD4 > 60 dB. All measurements performed with Praxis. Therefore my results are in line with those of Zaph and Markk whom also tested early versions.
I shall repeat the tests later today and post in 24 hours. I will try different levels. The earlier test was 100dBSPL @ 125mm = 82dBSPL @ 1 Metre (approx 100mW). I have in mind at least trying -/+ 6dB. The rough range will be equivalent to 25-400mW. I know the setup will handle that range (pushing the mic to see 106dBSPL), but since we're mainly concerned with strange h2 behaviour around - 50dB and the rig is good to at least -80dB, should be able to explore that downwards (it's the ambient noise limitation).

Will the pattern be consistent? Please keep in mind, these are the only tweeters I have seen that looks like this (it struck me the first time I saw it - is it deliberate?) and various other tweeters, including HDS (which I will use as a control again) are much more conventional.

As other current production samples become available to others with Praxis, SE etc able to do the tests, we may not become the wiser?

Joe R.
Old 14th March 2007, 08:36 PM   #20
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Joe,

Thanks for posting the test results. As far as I can tell, you're the first to test one of the new versions. I'll be paying close attention to any other results you post. I'd be especially grateful if you could post an accurate unsmoothed response plot, either infinite baffle or a well defined baffle of some type. If you have the ability to test for sensitivity, it would also be good to know what the 2.83 V SPL is.

Regards,
John

Hide this!Advertise here!