Jamo Oriel - any info available?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hallo,

I'm interested to make a speakers and basic question is how they should look like. I consider Jamo Oriel as very nice and this would be my target for DIY project. I have T330 available.
I'm looking for a data and pictures on the web I have difficulties to find more information. Can you help me please? Does any of you has pictures, dimensions, used speaker specification... best would be drawings :)

Thank you

The design really depends on many things such as the drivers you are using and the crossover you design for them. One big thing to note is that the width of the speaker front has a big effect on the sound. Look up 'baffle step' on google.

The best thing for you to do as a first project is follow someone else's good design. Look on this site - www.zaphaudio.com and choose one you like the look of and can afford. DO NOT change the cabinet shape or anything in the design, it all has an effect. You can paint it in whatever colour you want though ;)

Hope that helps.

Jamo facts: 3 way bass reflex (it should be band-pass) - 2x8" woofers (Vifa maybe?) - 6½" midrange (Eton I suppose) - tweeter (Dynaudio as you state yourself) - sensitivity 87 dB (2.8v/1m) - frequency range 20-22000 Hz - cross-over frequencies 100/3000 Hz - impedance 6 ohms - total volume 210 litres - weight 72 kg - dimensions 178 x 400 x 295 mm (HxWxD)

Woofers placed at the top and bottom respectively in closed volumes and play into reflex chambers. Ports on the front.
Cross-over parts are of ordinary quality: Solen and electrolytic capacitors - "cement" resistors.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
richard_majer said:
Do you have any recomendations regarding band pass, please? People around me are not fans of this solution.
Means to have crossover frequency around 80-100Hz... would be too low for three way speaker...

Forget the Oriel, your not skilled enough to pull it off yet and you don't have anything like enough information on them.

If you build something that is approachable and well documented, such as those designs from the links I provided a couple of post ago then you'll not only enjoy this but also have something that sounds great and valuable experience.

ShinOBIWAN said:

Forget the Oriel, your not skilled enough to pull it off yet and you don't have anything like enough information on them.

If you build something that is approachable and well documented, such as those designs from the links I provided a couple of post ago then you'll not only enjoy this but also have something that sounds great and valuable experience.

I apriciate your advice, but non of the posted projects doesn't satisfy my expectations in term of design. I know it would be chalenge... yes, to take existing project would be easiest and maybe one day I will give up and make copy of available speakers.

The bass system used in the Orels is of the "coupled cavity" type, this was very popular about two decades ago. This craze died out for one good reason - it does not sound very good. Systems like this often had a "one note" kind og sound like (but much worse) a basereflex enclosure.

Check out this german shop, it has a lot of designs listed, this one looks serious:

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/index.htm?/hifi/audimax.htm

I know the last post is years old but what utter garbage. 4th order band pass is second only to sealed enclosures in group delay but without the need for absurd voice coil melting amplifier power levels under resonance for flat response. I have a pair of these speakers and will never willingly part with them. I recently modified the passive crossovers and actively bi-amplified them with an LR 36dB/octave crossover and a little EQ (about 3 dB here and there) on the bass drivers for my difficult room. For their day, these were probably one of the greatest commercial speakers ever produced.

Jamo Oriel Active Bi-amplification « Ian's Projects

Midrange and tweeters are probably a little off the modern mark today, but easily upgradable. I have never heard a system with the same bass quality and control.

If the thread originator wants fantastic response from below 20 Hz to 20 kHz, he would be hard pressed to do better than take from this design.

Hello Fury. I didn't know that. Thanks very much for the info as I am looking at upgrading the mid range drivers and almost thought they were like a new Scan Speak 6.5 inch 18W8531G00 (exact fit with response overlap). Nothing wrong with the present midrange really but one has slight signs of wear in the rubber suspension which could be replaced easily enough, but the cone might be fatigued too after 15 years or so of use??). You seem very knowledgable - do you know of a good choice? BTW do you know what the woofers are? They have a Jamo label and don't look to be anything special with their pressed metal baskets. All I know is they are 8 inch and connected in parallel measure 2.9 Ohms. You can see a photo of one of them near the botttom of that blog page.
Cheers. :)

I think it may be the cost and complexity to build them that may be a factor.

My friend has a pair of Kef 104/2 that are extremely musical and fairly efficient. They seem to be quite well regarded generally and use a similar configuration as the Jamo, low frequency wise. The main difference looks like the Jamo has two separate BP enclosures and ports and the Kef shares a single ported compartment with two sealed.

amt

A similar 4th order band pass (single section, two smaller woofers) is used in my BA Lynnfield series 500L with excellent results. Complexity is not an issue here, makes you wonder why mfgs abandoned band pass designs.
BAscan.jpg

My friend has a pair of Kef 104/2 that are extremely musical and fairly efficient. They seem to be quite well regarded generally and use a similar configuration as the Jamo, low frequency wise. The main difference looks like the Jamo has two separate BP enclosures and ports and the Kef shares a single ported compartment with two sealed.

What a coincidence. About 10 or more years ago my brother had a pair of those speakers. I remember they had some kind of concentric tweeter in the midrange and a big single port in the middle at the front with no tube behind it (IIRC) and you could see a vertical metal pole joining the bass drivers through it. Bass performance was tight but it did not extend anywhere near as deeply as the Oriels.

Those were the 103/4s I believe, that had the same dual BP design but with their UniQ coaxial driver. The 104/2 is a MTM.

Yep, they are shy an octave but are very tight. I guess KEF made an optional active eq for them that boosted the LF performance but Ive never seen/heard one.

After looking for new tweeters for them, I noticed alot of people have modded them and still consider them pretty competitive with newer designs.

I wonder if both the Jamos BP enclosures are identical or tuned differently. I checked your website and the picture looks like the upper compartment is taller (larger)

amt

i mayve missed out here, but the only jamos i ever saw over here were in Tandy or Radio Shack, and were 15" woofers and an enormous horn tweeter, or a 2 way with 8" woofer and louvred horn tweeter, OR 12" 3 way with mid and tweeter...they cost less than a clock radio, were strcitly BUDGET, and frankly were bloomin awful.

Do you mean to tell me Jamo actually made GOOD speakers too?!?!?!?:eek:

wonders will never cease

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.