Curved Small Thor Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thor

Renron said:

Back to your question, I'm extremely pleased with the sound and feel it is balanced and not lacking in the bass department given the size of the mid-woofers.
Is a sub-woofer needed to fill in the bottom end when enjoying Eric Clapton or critical listening sessions? No.
Is a sub-woofer needed for HT? Absolutely, nothing beats the rumbling/shaking of the couch when the plane/car/explosion reaches it's crescendo.
A quick check with my RS (non calibrated) digital db meter says;
Hz Db
10 63
20 72
30 75
40 73
50 69
60 68
70 68
80 72
90 72
As you can tell the Xover design sucks at lower freq. response.
But...the speaker cabinet design ROCKS! Capable of 75 dbs at 30 Hz! That says a lot about SM and P10s design and their experience in speaker design. Even that I can hear/measure 10hz is a miracle.

Does that answer your question?
Ron

Edit: These are premium component Xovers as designed by SEAS
I will be rebuilding the Xovers when I get a few bucks to play with

Yeah, I guess! :)

Th results of an Active Thor should be interesting, getting away from some of the stock crossover issues. Are you going to build the HT Forum version of the crossover, or just tweek this one?

- Rob

Re your query Rob, it won't make any difference to driver placement. We're only interested in the vertical resonant mode, so providing the CSA of the line remains ~constant, then you can use whatever shape you like. The curved panels should be more effective at supressing unwanted horizontal resonances etc., but won't affect the tuning.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.