Troels Gravesen W1500/97 monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

Some time ago I completed the build of a pair of W1500/97 monitors, designed by Troels Gravesen.

I realised that some time ago, there was a thread asking for experiences regarding Troels Gravesen designs. Here's another experience... :D

I will report on this build in a couple of posts, with some pics of the process.

To start with, this is the website that contains the W1500/97 design.

I already shared my experiences with Troels, and that feedback can be read here.

Regarding my considerations: I chose the W1500/97 for aestetic reasons (symmetric lay-out of the units) and the fact, that the 2905/9700 tweeter is used.

Furthermore, I reduced baffle size to the minimum that was considered healthy by Troels. Hence, baffle size is 180mm x 290mm. :)

Since the internal volume needs to be 10,5 litres, the depth of the cabinet follows automatically. I also chose to have a separate cavity for the filter, in order to keep the internal volume to the correct value regardless of the filter. This also added to the depth of the cabinets.

So after purchasing cut-to size MDF panels the build could begin:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Side, top, bottom and rear panels of the cabinets are lined with lead bitumen.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Filter compartiment is clearly visible:

To make the cabinets neat and straight, I covered the top and bottom with 3mm MDF layers, the rear with 8mm MDF (also for the port flaring) and the front with 2mm aviation quality birch ply.

Next step was veneering. I obtained a two sheets of amazing pear wood veneer. It's a slightly warm red wood, with a purple flame in it. I chose to apply one sheet per cabinet, and veneer them in mirror image of each other.

I used my preferred glueing method with PVAC glue and ironing it on after drying.

Next step was cutting out all holes:

1: Port opening with flare:

2: Woofer opening with recess:

3: Tweeter opening, also with recess:

Fits nicely.. :D

4: Didn't make a picture of the filter compartiment per sé. :ashamed:
Will be visible later on. ;)

I decided to order a pair of black perspex plates to cover the filter compartiment. It will give the speakers a nice look... :cool:

Finally after mounting speaker, filters etc this is the result:

And the rear sides:

They are in use in my living room. With 15x4 metres and a ceiling of 3,3 metres, it's quite a big room. However, these little speakers easily fill the entire space with music.

So how do they sound?

I don't regret having built them. They are gorgeous little monsters. Bass is absolutely stunning. Compared to the original A4, I prefer this design by miles. They sound really homogenic, dynamic and have a kind of ease over them that is hard found.

They are not cheap, but definitely worth the money.

Also these speakers are quite sensitive to connected equipment, as can be read from my feed-back to Troels. Also speaker cables make a huge difference.

At the moment I run them with a Proceed PCD3 CD-player and a Densen Beat B100 integrated amp. That gives a nice match to my taste.

So if you're in doubt wether to build a Troels Gravesen design or not, I can clearly recommend at least this one. Since his taste definitely also defines the other designs he has published, I would not be hesitant to build another of his designs as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.