Is this normal? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2007, 07:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Is this normal?

I just a reading of 6.1 ohms on a dayton rs 150s-8. I thought that is was a 8 ohm speaker. I also took it out of the garage, could the cold have given me this off reading?
Old 7th March 2007, 07:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'd have thought that your reading was perfectly normal. The figures quoted for speaker impedance are usually specified as "nominal". The measurement is made of a coil inside a magnetic field and the impedance will vary with fequency. An "8ohm" speaker is usually only exactly 8ohms at a 3 or 5 points depending on the frequency and the type of box it is in etc. . What you probably measured was the DC component which you would expect to be about 6ohms. I think its perfect. You might find a text book or website that discusses speaker impedance. You will find that will address your concerns with a better technical explanation.
Old 7th March 2007, 07:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thats about right for an 8 ohm speaker. AC impedence is higher than the DC resistance.

mike

Hide this!Advertise here!