ESS 10" woofers worth renewing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ESS 10" woofers worth renewing?

The short story is that the 10" woofers in my ESS AMT-1's that I bought brand new in the early '70's developed surround rot like they all do.
This was about 10 years ago, and so I called ESS in California that was still in business at the time, and I went ahead and just bought brand new 10" woofers complete rather than have my original's surrounds redone.

Fast forward to now; I came across my original woofers in my closet that I had put in the box the new ones came in back then, and I noted that the cones are still in perfect condition and all they need is new surrounds to make these drivers "new" again.
But I'm wondering if anyone can give me some input if it's really worth re-doing these early ESS 10" woofers.
They don't "look" that impressive in that the frame is just a stamped frame (not cast), and the magnet isn't very large compared to most new drivers I see today. Yet, they sounded really good in my AMT-1's.

So for a $25 investment for new surrounds, are these "authentic and original" ESS drivers worth bringing back to life with new surrounds?
I can't even find any information about their acoustic specs so it's hard to know what to do with them.

TIA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.