dayton reference MTM home theater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum, but expreienced in other car audio forums. I am interested in building a new home theater MTM set up with dayton reference 7" drivers with their aluminim tweeter. Here is a link:
http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/dr-k-mtm/index.html
I know there are quite a few people on here with similar set ups, and I am wondering how you like it? Does anyone know of any similar set ups, different drivers, for a similar price that you would rave about?
I listen to jazz, rock and roll, and of course will have this set up for a home theater as well. I am looking for something very crisp and clean sounding, good mid bass response, and not dull sounding. Thanks for your help:D

I guess I will chime in since no one else has.

Dayton is synonymous with value, especially when they are on sale! The DA175 is another popular less costly Dayton woofer for HT setups. There are many, many DA175 HT projects.

Do you have a sub? For your namesake I'm guessing you plan on having a sub. What kind, and where do you plan on crossing your mains to your sub? Also, what kind of receiver do you have, and is it 4-ohm stable?

Sounds like a fun project,
Roger

Thanks Roger_Law. I already have a dayton reference 12 inch high output sub with the dayton 1000 watt plate amp, all mounted in about 0.9 cubic foot sealed endlosure. I am building the set up one piece at a time. I do have a receiver, but it is old and definately not what I will be using when the set up is finished. It is a pioneer 5 channel receiver, from the early 1990's. Not even sure if it is 4ohm stable, but that doesnt matter in that I will get a new receiver at some point that will match my goals. Thanks for the reply.

That post in htforum is awesome, exactly what I am looking for. Looks like the Dayton reference is a driver that is raved about. Now, there are many different MTM designs. Some which are tuned for low frequency extension down to about 30hz in a larger enclosure. The one on PE website is tuned for about 40hz cut off. Is there an advantage over having a lower cut off with good low end extension? I already have a competant sub set up, and may not need that low end extension below 40hz in the MTM's. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Is there an advantage over having a lower cut off with good low end extension?

I agree withsdclc126, best to leave the extremely low bass to your sub. If you keep your cutoff frequency at 65 Hz with a bigger lower tuned box, having less port gain through the passband (65 Hz and up) might be an advantage. You might have slightly more setup flexibility due to the extra frequency extension.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.