X-over software recomendations - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2007, 07:07 PM   #1
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
Default X-over software recomendations

Hey I'm looking for some decent crossover software, and I'm curious what people use. I have seen many a DIY site where people talk about modeling the response of a x-over, and I can't seem to find any that does more than look at the perameters, and give you a basic layout. No response graphs. Also, software that can model both series and parrallel crossovers would be nice.

I know leap is liked, but I think that is too expensive for me. Something cheap or free would be best.
Old 4th March 2007, 07:36 PM   #2
Svante is offline Svante  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Psst...

My sig.
Old 5th March 2007, 05:07 PM   #3
ente is offline ente  Germany
diyAudio Member

Basta is a very powerful tool.
Maybe Boxsim is also a good choice

http://www.visaton.de/en/literature/...ads/index.html

Heinrich
Old 6th March 2007, 05:35 PM   #4
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
Is there any databases for driver specs. I mean, lots of people here measures speaker drivers all the time, is there any place I can download the SPL and Impedance files they make when they do it. I'm looking for FRD's and ZMA files. I know its best to measure yourself, but it would be nice to model speakers i don't yet own but would like to play around with.
Old 7th March 2007, 12:59 AM   #5
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Google is the best shot there. Try to get specs from manufactures or large distributors.

I have always done crossovers "long hand" though will cheat using lookup tables. Getting rusty at it now. Everything here is full range.

This may help: http://www.thielesmall.com/default.asp
Old 7th March 2007, 08:29 AM   #6
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Re: X-over software recomendations

Quote:
Originally posted by pjpoes

I know leap is liked, but I think that is too expensive for me. Something cheap or free would be best.

SpeakerWorkshop can do it, and it's free. Has an historic reputation of being difficult to learn/set up, but that's been overcome by (1) a user manual writen by an enthusiast and (2) many users worldwide who can help online and (3) RTFM!

Edit: I see you can't say Read the Freakin' Manual here...
Old 11th March 2007, 03:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

is there a software that can help to design line level crossover?
Old 11th March 2007, 09:55 PM   #8
Hara is offline Hara  United States
diyAudio Member

What about opinions/recommendations on software to design filters in general (for passive/active applications)?

I'm thinking of using active filters for attenuation/gain in conjunction with digital filters for time/phase aligning drivers, crossovers and bass digital room correction. I believe this would maximize the s/n ratio of the dsp because I am not using them for serious attenuation. I am more familiar with the digital side than the circuit side.
Old 12th March 2007, 06:43 AM   #9
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterTwister
is there a software that can help to design line level crossover?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hara
What about opinions/recommendations on software to design filters in general (for passive/active applications)?
SpeakerWorkshop also has a facility for generic design of active filters, but does not include the power supply or pin connections of the IC's (you'll have to look this up; there are so many op amps to choose from). Linear Technology offers a full SPICE package for free (LTSpice?), which is very well regarded. It is often referred to in these forums. Search the forums and/or go to LT's web site.
Old 12th March 2007, 07:00 PM   #10
Hara is offline Hara  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaun

SpeakerWorkshop also has a facility for generic design of active filters, but does not include the power supply or pin connections of the IC's (you'll have to look this up; there are so many op amps to choose from).
Understandood.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaun

Linear Technology offers a full SPICE package for free (LTSpice?), which is very well regarded. It is often referred to in these forums. Search the forums and/or go to LT's web site.
The SPICE software was pretty much what I was looking for. Another question though, I have no experience in circuit design, are there any additional circuits included that would be wise to include but do not necessarily affect the signal directly?

Also anyone have a link to the special speaker workshop documentation written by a third party?

Hide this!Advertise here!