X-over software recomendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey I'm looking for some decent crossover software, and I'm curious what people use. I have seen many a DIY site where people talk about modeling the response of a x-over, and I can't seem to find any that does more than look at the perameters, and give you a basic layout. No response graphs. Also, software that can model both series and parrallel crossovers would be nice.

I know leap is liked, but I think that is too expensive for me. Something cheap or free would be best.

Is there any databases for driver specs. I mean, lots of people here measures speaker drivers all the time, is there any place I can download the SPL and Impedance files they make when they do it. I'm looking for FRD's and ZMA files. I know its best to measure yourself, but it would be nice to model speakers i don't yet own but would like to play around with.

pjpoes said:

I know leap is liked, but I think that is too expensive for me. Something cheap or free would be best.

SpeakerWorkshop can do it, and it's free. Has an historic reputation of being difficult to learn/set up, but that's been overcome by (1) a user manual writen by an enthusiast and (2) many users worldwide who can help online and (3) RTFM!

Edit: I see you can't say Read the Freakin' Manual here...:angel:

What about opinions/recommendations on software to design filters in general (for passive/active applications)?

I'm thinking of using active filters for attenuation/gain in conjunction with digital filters for time/phase aligning drivers, crossovers and bass digital room correction. I believe this would maximize the s/n ratio of the dsp because I am not using them for serious attenuation. I am more familiar with the digital side than the circuit side.

MisterTwister said:
is there a software that can help to design line level crossover?

Hara said:
What about opinions/recommendations on software to design filters in general (for passive/active applications)?

SpeakerWorkshop also has a facility for generic design of active filters, but does not include the power supply or pin connections of the IC's (you'll have to look this up; there are so many op amps to choose from). Linear Technology offers a full SPICE package for free (LTSpice?), which is very well regarded. It is often referred to in these forums. Search the forums and/or go to LT's web site.

Shaun said:

SpeakerWorkshop also has a facility for generic design of active filters, but does not include the power supply or pin connections of the IC's (you'll have to look this up; there are so many op amps to choose from).

Understandood.

Shaun said:

Linear Technology offers a full SPICE package for free (LTSpice?), which is very well regarded. It is often referred to in these forums. Search the forums and/or go to LT's web site.

The SPICE software was pretty much what I was looking for. Another question though, I have no experience in circuit design, are there any additional circuits included that would be wise to include but do not necessarily affect the signal directly?

Also anyone have a link to the special speaker workshop documentation written by a third party?

Hara said:
The SPICE software was pretty much what I was looking for. Another question though, I have no experience in circuit design, are there any additional circuits included that would be wise to include but do not necessarily affect the signal directly?

Then you have a long learning curve ahead. I'm not sure how deep you want to get into this, but The Art of Electronics is a book often recommended for beginners.

But to answer your question, the peripheral circuitry would be:
1) Power supply (convert mains to DC)
2) Input and/or output buffers
3) Power supply decoupling filters

MisterTwister said:
sorry, i meant passive line level crossover,
like here:
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/filters/passiveHLxo.html

SpeakerWorkshop. You must know the source internal resistance and the load impedance in order to make an accurate model.

warnsey said:
Not to hijack the thread. However, anyone know of any software that will work on the current range of MACS (OSX)?

Not sure if SpeakerWorkshop has a Mac version; do check.

Also see The FRD Consortium (search). They have a set of tools that run on Excel.

Not to hijack the thread. However, anyone know of any software that will work on the current range of MACS (OSX)?

I tried a few spice-like programs on my mac, and found them to have only very basic functionality. No I run Windows XP in a virtual machine to use my speaker/electronics software. I guess however there should be some good Unix programs around, so you might want to try one of those.

Martin

Shaun said:

Then you have a long learning curve ahead. I'm not sure how deep you want to get into this, but The Art of Electronics is a book often recommended for beginners.

But to answer your question, the peripheral circuitry would be:
1) Power supply (convert mains to DC)
2) Input and/or output buffers
3) Power supply decoupling filters

Hmmm... Good point. I really just want some basic filters with the appropriate peripheral circuitry. These circuits would probably end up on just some stripboard. I suppose I could design something and than have it checked by the forums but I want to avoid excessive circuit help from the forums.

Recently I was able to acquire a speaker development software called Sound Easy at no cost. I updated to the latest version at AUD$30, which is very cheap indeed.

A new copy from Parts Express would cost about US$240, I think. It is not cheap.

After studying the software for a few weeks I come to a conclusion it is excellent software, capable more than just designing x-over. It has many features. This software is not promoted extensively, those who bought it would be happy with it.
I am promoting it not because I come from the same country as the software developer, but I believe it is an excellent software.

Those interested go to Parts Express it has a good summary of its features.

cheers.

ttan98 said:
Recently I was able to acquire a speaker development software called Sound Easy <snip> It is not cheap.

and

ttan98 said:
After studying the software for a few weeks I come to a conclusion it is excellent software, capable more than just designing x-over. It has many features. This software is not promoted extensively, those who bought it would be happy with it.<snip> I believe it is an excellent software.

And so, it is actually not expensive, either. There is no commercially available software that does what SE does for the price. It is geared towards the advanced user (in terms of its full capability). However, one is not compelled to use the advanced features. It is one of the best investments I have made.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.