End correction formula for rectangular port ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building vented speakers with a rectangular vented port. The port is a part of the walls cabinet (it uses 3 walls of the cabinet, the fourth side must be adjusted at the port length needed).

Of course I can use some dedicated software in order to calculate (estimate) the port length.

But, for my intellectual curiosity, I would like to know how to calculate or estimate the end correction of such a vented port.

I can find some rules in the bibliography, but it's always for a round port. Nothing is clear for rectangular port. And it's less clear for a port using walls cabinet.

Can somebody be abble to provide me some informations ?

Many thanks in advance.
Philippe.

I am afraid if you are trying a special situation, it is cut and try. There are some rules of thumb out there, like subtract half the height of the slot when using a cabinet wall, but I am afraid the best method is to make it too long to begin with, then measure and adjust. There is nothing really wrong with a port tuned too low, they only become a problem when tuned too high...

That is my feeling too, and this is sort of problematic because rectangular ports are typically more integrated with the box design, making the length harder to adjust.

The end correction for circular tubes comes from the radiation impedance of a baffled piston, and I could imagine that it would be possible to find an analytical expression for the radiation impedance of an infinitely long bar. Has anyone seen such an expression?

Yes very interesting.

But is the end correction formula only for one side of the port ? In this case, the correct value should be the double.

In the paper it's write than the expression is for a rectangular duct ended with an infinite baffle. But in a loudspeaker enclosure, on side of the port is ended with a baffle, but the other side has an unflanged opening (or quite because of the walls of the cabinet on 3 sides).

Great ! Many thanks !

But by what K should be multiplied ?

For a cylindric port, 0.732 is the coefficient for the diameter.

But for another shape, is it the equivalent diameter that we have to use ?

I have already LIMP. It's a very convinient software. You are right, the calculation is for a first estmation.

Hi,
does that mean a K correction makes the port shorter to achieve the correct tuning frequency?

A big K makes the port very much shorter and a liitle K makes it only a little shorter.

If the port projects from both sides of the partition, then presumably 2*K must be subtracted from the calculated length to give the corrected length?

Is there a K value when the port is flush with the partition?

philippe_95 said:
Does it mean that for a rectangular port (for instance the model at the bottom right of your graph) we have to calculate an equivalent diameter D ?
D = sqrt (S/pi) for a rectangular port with S = Width * Height ?

Regards,
Philippe.
Yes, one would sum all the port areas and calculate the equivalent circular port of equal area.

But, there was a comment earlier that extreme shaped ports with a high width/height ratio would need a further correction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.