Experience with Solen?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They are a large outfit, in that the people (ladies) manning (?) the phones are there to take orders ONLY. THey have a HUGE stock of drivers..and the odd driver is there soley due to it being custom manufuactured for them..as they still have customers for it.

There are some very helpful and knowledgable guys there, who will spend the time to work with you. Ask to speak to the technical help guys. You will get somewhere then. Zaltyron, on the other hand..wow. Try and talk to those guys... ugh.

Just remember they usually speak to guys who know exactly what they are doing, and don't spend alot of time tirekicking drivers about on the telephone. Get your knowledge elsewhere, and then buy from Solen. However,as stated, they are a very knowledgeable and friendly bunch of folk, just ask for the tech help. If you have spoken to them already, and this is your result..this thread, well, hey. What can I say? largely speaking, all folk start off with a few drivers,and eventually..sometimes, at least, become regular customers. Like when you make a $500 order for resistors :p

I've spent at least $10K with them, and have no personal interest or connection other than that. I've always had a good rapport with them. The one lady has a darned sexy voice too. She's been there forever. I've been buying from them for 15+ years, never had anything but a good experience.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi patchwork,
I have to agree with everyone here. Great company to deal with. They have good online resources and are easy to work with. They do not want to teach you. I've dealt with them since - I don't know. It's been that long.

-Chris

Hmm i've had no problems ordering OR getting help from them. I dealt with them back and forth for over a week because the guy i was dealing with tought me alot about timbre matching and crossover components. About 7 years ago i talked to one of the technicians about designing a 3way and they did all the work and designed the best crossover for me.

About a week ago i ordered tons of stuff, made a mistake, and sent some back without a problem. also, because of the mistake, they are fixing my crossover design

can't complain at all! i love dealing with them because i get the trade prices too :)

As a loudspeaker driver supplier I can understand that Solen can get a lot of enquiries that are non sales related such as design and driver choice questions. That's up to the DIYer to research as it's part of the learning process and final satisfaction.

From my experience, after you advise buyers on design etc (which takes a considerable amount of time), they go and buy elsewhere or ignore the advice, so I stick to sales information only these days.

I live in the South Shore of Montreal and since Solen are also on the South Shore of Montreal, I always drive to their office to buy my drivers and parts. They are extremely helpfull, Everytime I ask advice they where very friendly. So order from them with confidence. By the way everytime I go there the lady that answer the phone must really love carrots because everytime I see her, she's always have a huge plate of carrots on her desk. Just tought that it was funny,,,:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.