The "Elsinore Project" Thread

MathiasJK,

Which woofers do you have? If it is the Peerless ones, then my understanding is that you need to follow the MK5 cross over. The MK6 XO was developed for the SB Acoustics woofers.

To get you started, here you go with the link for the MK5 cross over:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/97043-elsinore-project-thread-78.html#post2520198

Material choice for the waveguide - wood, metal, or plastic - all should work. Do you have the tools to make one? Btw, you can get finished ones from Joe (very well constructed).

Dust build up around waveguide.

Just had a minor epiphany re the waveguide and tweeter mating and dust build up. I regularly lightly dust the fronts of my Elsinore Mk5's with a large duster but noticed the other day a build up of dust around the lower edge of the midwoofers. I armed myself with a small long bristled soft brush and gently removed the dust from the midwoofers but also brushed gently around the tweeters and mating waveguide surfaces. I didn't see a great deal of dust build up there but over time there would most likely have been some dust as I don't have grills. I like to see where the music is coming from. I didn't expect to hear any change but I was in for a surprise. The high frequencies are much more open and detailed. The deterioration must have been so gradual that I didn't notice it. Not that it sounded bad before, it is just much better now. I will now regularly gently brush around the tweeter/waveguide. It obviously doesn't take much build up to make a large difference. It will be interesting to see if anyone else finds this.

My most recent Elsinore review.

Music is something that affects us emotionally. I dare say, the better the music, as well as the reproduction the more profound the effect is.

I am now 48 years old, and my wife just had a baby, day before yesterday. Odd I am writing about music at a time like this?

Not at all. In fact I think this is the most profound time to think about something that shapes us in ways good or bad, that are extremely potent. Especially now, when we have had a very profound experiences.

The best thing about these speakers to me, is the simple fact that having children, even though I REALLY WANT to play these things loud, I can still enjoy this awesome creation that Joe has given us at low volume.

Think about this...if I commision, someone, and pay them to build my house, I can rightfully say, "I built this house." But is that entirely honest?

If I follow plans to build a house and I built that house and say, "I built this house", is that honest?

Well the later is certainly more honest! Simply put, I think what Joe has shared with us is shamefully underrated!

It has made my life far more durable, even at low listening levels, and even at the prospect of listening at some point in the future.

I can say without doubt, this build was one of the best things I've ever done...for many reasons...not the least of which... they sound incredible!

Thanks again Joe!

Hi,

I am starting to build my boxes for the misses 5 version, but as I looked at what the company sent me, it ain't nowhere right...

Firstly I need an answer, an important one, are XO BOL for one speaker or two? Makes quite a difference, so can one tell me if the mk5 so com is for one or two speakers, I. Guess one on t the small amount of parts I got, but the not so very competpent at europe audio sent me too few componentw for the first, and for the second. About half of the components are missing.

Do you think they did anything about like refund me? NO!! I could have thrower the cash in the ocean and see them floating, that would have been more interesting,,

FU Europe audio/bmmellectronics!

On my shop there it or unimportant that a piece is missing, ie do not ever buy anything for speakers from them shitheads.

Wow stupid question.. it's for one speaker as 2 speakers can't share one part,,

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

Does anyone have a recommendation for C3? Erse offers a very inexpensive 300uF 100V bi-polar cap (ERSE - Non-Polerized Electrolytic Capacitors, at $3.30 (US)), Madisound offers a Solen PB 150 uF cap for $43.80 (two required, so $87.60 per speaker) and Parts-Express has an Audyn Q4 100uF MKP cap (Audyn Cap Q4 100uF 400V MKP Metalized Polypropylene Foil Crossover Capacitor) for $24.30 (three required, so $72.90 per speaker). If you know of something better, please share. There's quite a range here and I'd appreciate a little guidance.

Regards,
Scott

New builder/ Crossover parts

Hi

Have been pondering building the Elsinsore speakers for many years, and now the time seems right. Electronics is new to me, I have made a few projects which have come with detailed instructions and pictures. I have a question regarding the crossover schematic and parts list on Joe's site. In the tweeter section of the crossover in red is a 6R8 resistor and 0.47uF cap, but they are not on the parts list. What am I missing? Are they in red because they were new to Mk6?

Regards
Andrew

Hello colleagues! I know that Elsinore's project has been around for many years, but I saw him very recently. I'm reading the page of Joe. I have a question. Based on what calculations or measurements, the tweeter is recessed into the front panel. I know why this is done, but I do not understand why exactly at this distance?
Thank you!
Oleg

It has begun! I first wanted to build these probably ~8 years ago, I've finally had the opportunity so I took it. Hopefully have some more progress shots over the next week.

IMAG1292.jpeg IMAG1291.jpeg IMAG1290.jpeg IMAG1289.jpeg

I used a router with a template guide I made out of 4mm craftwood. The router has a guide collar fitted so you make the template radius larger by the distance between the collar and the router bit. (hope that makes sense). Since mine were the MK5 version I did not need to rebate the drivers as the Peerless drivers are designed to be mounted directly on the surface of the baffle. I ended up making templates for all the cutouts, even the ones for the brace etc. It makes for very clean edges, even on internal parts which are unseen, (but I know they're there).