The "Elsinore Project" Thread

A colleague of mine has access to a 3D printer and if possible I would love to print a waveguide and compare.However I will have to model it first in a CAD program (SolidWorks). Learning that will be the hard part.

A 3D printer?

I hadn't thought of that. I was watching a scary TV program where they demonstrated they could make a gun that could only shoot one bullet - but could not be detected... another peaceful invention used for evil intent.

But making a Waveguide, I would like to see that.

Cheers, Joe

I built my own wave guides out of mdf,that I like the sound of a little better than the metal. I have a pair of Joel's aluminum wave guides I am not using, I will sell for $150 US plus shipping. I don't know how much international shipping would be. Not trying to get in your business Joel but I would like to see someone get some use out of them.
Hi.
I am new in this forum and I am contemplating a build. TPATE, Do you still have these waveguides?

Bo

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Does anyone have a opinion about using Baltic birch instead of MDF. The reason I ask is that weight is a concern for me. I've used MDF in the past but my back doesn't allow me to deal with the weight any longer.

I think it comes down to how thick you make the walls. I used double layer, 12mm Baltic Birch and the cabinets are still quite heavy. If I recall, each of the finished speakers is around 96lbs.

That said, you should be able to readjust the internal volumes and use 18mm Baltic birch. That should provide some weight savings.

If you are worrying about handling the raw material, I had the saw mill rough cut the pieces to a more manageable size for handling and transport, I just performed the finishing cuts. As for manipulating the cabinet as you progress, well, not much can be done there beyond enlisting the help of a buddy or a decent hand truck.

I built my own wave guides out of mdf,that I like the sound of a little better than the metal. I have a pair of Joel's aluminum wave guides I am not using, I will sell for $150 US plus shipping. I don't know how much international shipping would be. Not trying to get in your business Joel but I would like to see someone get some use out of them.
Hi.
I am new to the forum but getting increasingly interested.
Do you still have these guides?

Bo

Sorry, I was away from my computer for a few days. Yes I still have the wave guides, The Elsinores are very good speakers, not quite efficient enough for an 8 watt 300B amp but if you have 30 watts or more it would be hard to beat for the price. Email me your address and I will try and get a shipping price.

not quite efficient enough for an 8 watt 300B amp but if you have 30 watts or more...

I would agree with that. I had a 6 Watt amplifier and it was surprising the volume level it could achieve, but then if you advanced the volume control just a bit further... yes, I need a little more headroom.

But somebody listening to small scale jazz? Who knows?

Cheers, Joe

X-over upgrade imminent! I've just received the first of 2 packages of components for the MK5 crossover. 2nd package should arrive this week :)

I built the mk3 elsinores (and hamlet) a few years ago now. Im really looking forward to seeing what difference the updated crossover introduces (and yep i have the waveguides).

Will report with impressions once I have had a proper listen.

If anyone is interested in purchasing any of the old mk3 components just pm. I reside in Australia and am happy for them to go cheap to a good home. All components sourced are high end and cost me a small fortune. As an added bonus I can guarantee all components have been burned in :)

Cheers, Andrew

Our living room is small. Marginally bigger than my brother-in-law's bathroom/walk-in closet. How can I guesstimate the impact on Elsinor's performance?

I have sofar used AR1 speakers 15 woofers (with 500W Sunfire amps built in) with decent result. Mind you that is my judging I am not sure how accurate that is...

Quote from Joe Rasmussen:
This speaker is very VERY sensitive to speaker location within the room.

Get them well away from the rear wall as you can. Calculate the length of the room (the direction the speaker is firing), multiply by 3 and then divide by 10.

If that is 5 Metres, then the front of the Waveguide should be 1.5M, for 4M then 1.2M and 6M then 1.8M and so on.

Wow, that means the loudspeakers have to be placed approx 1/3 of the room's length into the room...which will significantly affect how you can furniture the room (for those of us without a special listening room).

What happens if you can only have the speakers 1/15 to 1/20 (of roomlength) from the wall?

Quote from Joe Rasmussen:
This speaker is very VERY sensitive to speaker location within the room.

I think I must point out that this was a relative point, in-so-far it does in fact apply to ALL speakers.

Most speakers in most rooms I have ever walked into, have been in less than ideal locations within the room. It is just one of those things.

So to get the "best" out of the Elsinores, yes, they ARE sensitive to location.

So I am simply saying, as far as is possible, do try ALL the available options you might have, in your particular circumstances.

It should not disqualify you from building the Elsinores.

Frightfully busy, can't make any comments here and via email till next week. But thought I should just quickly point out the above.

Cheers, Joe

Well.. i am surprised.

Completed the mk5 crossover (Joe R. take on Bolserst's mod) and connected to one speaker while leaving the mk3 crossover on the other. Firstly the mk5 appears to be less efficient, roughly 2dB. Once compensated for I played source material through each speaker while changing my positioning to roughly 2 mtrs away just off axis from each speaker in turn.

The most obvious difference was with high frequency's/vocals. While the mk3 was excessively energetic and bright the mk5 sounded muffled and less dynamic. Mid and low frequency's however were vastly improved.

But i was constantly aware that something seemed to be missing when comparing. I have to note that the high frequency's did sound far more controlled while the Mk3's could on occasions sound harsh to the point were it almost felt distorted.

Having listened to them all day I almost wish I could take a bit of both. The mk5 is not what i expected, however it does appear more refined.

Based on this i have a number of options available but not sure which might the best to get the characteristics I would like - ei not so flat - a little more bright, and increase efficiency.

- remove the 33R resistors in parallel with the drivers.
- remove the conjugate filter from the low pass filter.
- convert to the original Mk5 design (unmodified)

If anyone is able to provide advice as to the best options above to start with it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Andrew

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Well.. i am surprised.

Completed the mk5 crossover (Joe R. take on Bolserst's mod) and connected to one speaker while leaving the mk3 crossover on the other. Firstly the mk5 appears to be less efficient, roughly 2dB. Once compensated for I played source material through each speaker while changing my positioning to roughly 2 mtrs away just off axis from each speaker in turn.

The most obvious difference was with high frequency's/vocals. While the mk3 was excessively energetic and bright the mk5 sounded muffled and less dynamic. Mid and low frequency's however were vastly improved.

But i was constantly aware that something seemed to be missing when comparing. I have to note that the high frequency's did sound far more controlled while the Mk3's could on occasions sound harsh to the point were it almost felt distorted.

Having listened to them all day I almost wish I could take a bit of both. The mk5 is not what i expected, however it does appear more refined.

Based on this i have a number of options available but not sure which might the best to get the characteristics I would like - ei not so flat - a little more bright, and increase efficiency.

- remove the 33R resistors in parallel with the drivers.
- remove the conjugate filter from the low pass filter.
- convert to the original Mk5 design (unmodified)

If anyone is able to provide advice as to the best options above to start with it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Andrew

What size cap are you running on the tweeters? 1.8uf? Or some other value?

After experimenting with removing the conjugate filter, and also removing Bolserst's mod it still wasn't performing to my taste.

I didnt try removing the 33R parallel resistors though. Joe stated below;

Stage 1:

Fit the 33R resistors, you will need eight in all.

That might be all you need to try. The tonal balance will be more gently downward and hence less bright. But since excess energy is what led us in this direction, maybe the less averaged out energy above 1Khz will go some way to assist. No more required.

If I read that correctly would having these resistors in place be affecting the tonal output for the high end? By removing them would I gain 'brightness'.

@jdkJake - I am using 2uf. The Mk3 used 4.7uf. Thanks for mentioning this though as it got me thinking.

I have now increased the series cap to 3uf and this has made a big difference. The sound is far more similar to the mk3 but still retains the low end characteristics that the Mk5 introduces.

Cheers, Andrew

I have now increased the series cap to 3uf and this has made a big difference. The sound is far more similar to the mk3 but still retains the low end characteristics that the Mk5 introduces.

Cheers, Andrew

This sounds interesting as I am an old Magnaplanar & Quad fan. Have You been experimenting anything more & is the change of the series cap from 2 to 3 uF the only change now from the Mk5 design?

Cheers //H