The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have a question ...
<snip>

Back to the Hamlets, the good thing is this: I can model both possibilities, present them here, look at the pro and cons, and only then make a decision - and no crossover made until then. The modelling is actually quite accurate when it comes to this kind of scenario. But the numbers may work out to suit only one choice.

So that is the plan, at least now.

Cheers, Joe R.

Joe,

Great plan. For us Elsinorephiles, I think, performance is tops, whether 4 or 8 Ohms.

I'm looking forward to building a Hamlet! Thanks in advance.

Francois

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hamlet Upgrade is good news!

WaveGuide for tweeter.. No felt like drawing shows now..
I hear that Hamlet makes a great stereo pair..

I supplied the waveguides already and will pay for tweeters as well as promised..

I can wait for all crossover values and box all parts in one and send together if OTHERS WANT TO SHARE COST for all other parts and shared ship cost..

jdkjake has shown interest.. ANYONE ELSE?

Shipping time is 3 months ground or 1 week express but much higher cost..

Attachments

• Side_View.gif
    Side_View.gif
    10 KB · Views: 541
  • Concept_Lateral.gif
    Concept_Lateral.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 545
Hamlet Upgrade is good news!

I supplied the waveguides already and will pay for tweeters as well as promised..

This is nice to see the excitement... the box and waveguides are here, I supply four HDS drivers I have here and I will also do the crossover, if somebody then supplies the Tweeters I will have all the incensitives to go ahead (partly because the disincentives have been removed). I know I can get a pair of the Tweeters for $200 locally - it would not make sense to send from overseas, any price advantage would be wiped out by getting it here.

Hmmm... Paypal - that's OK - and maybe a few can help make up the total, and away we go.

Cheers, Joe R.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This is nice to see the excitement... the box and waveguides are here, I supply four HDS drivers I have here and I will also do the crossover, if somebody then supplies the Tweeters I will have all the incensitives to go ahead (partly because the disincentives have been removed). I know I can get a pair of the Tweeters for $200 locally - it would not make sense to send from overseas, any price advantage would be wiped out by getting it here.

Hmmm... Paypal - that's OK - and maybe a few can help make up the total, and away we go.

Cheers, Joe R.

I have to stop relying on my memory..
When I was thinking about the price of the tweeters I was using the price of xt25 and I could get them bought and shipped for $100

I can paypal 100.. Can we get to 200 with others?

Another $50 (USD) on it's way.

Also, I vote for the 4 ohm version of the hamlets. That said, I am flexible to the group consensus.

Than you all - just checked and we are closing in on $200 - so you guys have given me a good kick in the pants.

After PayPal fees etc, I have AUD $182 - just got of the phone with WES here in Sydney and they're sending a pair, total including delivery AUD $201.

Cheers, Joe R.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
.... we are closing in on $200 - so you guys have given me a good kick ...

Cheers, Joe R.

Hi Joe,

After thinking about this, here is a thought.

Please consider designing/modeling it with the "height" of the center channel as small as possible so that it could fit as support/base under the TV. I.e. make the width ( heigth if laid on the side) less than the width of the Elsinores.

Ideally a center channel would serve as base for the panel TV to be supported by, on top of a conventional "media center". So, I think an enclosure for Hamlet would be around 160 mm heigh, 350 mm deep and as wide as nessary.

MHO, what do others think?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ideally a center channel would serve as base for the panel TV to be supported by, on top of a conventional "media center". So, I think an enclosure for Hamlet would be around 160 mm heigh, 350 mm deep and as wide as nessary.

MHO, what do others think?

I disagree. A center channel generally needs to be free to be directed optimally at the listening position. This cannot be done when the center channel is used as support/base for a panel TV. Depending upon the distance and height of the center channel with respect to the user, there is considerable possible placement and angle variations that need to be performed to obtain the best performance.

Personally, I would never rest anything on top of any speaker. My flat panel is mounted on a articulating arm attached to the wall and "floats" above my amps/sources. My center channel rests on top of a device called a center channel director that allows the angle of the front bezel to be set appropriately directed to the listening position.

I think the hamlet box design is fine as it is and presents maximum flexibility in terms of use as a stereo pair as well as LCR and rear-channel duties. It does not exist as a purely single purpose design, i.e. a center channel.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Joe, Yes that is the easy way but,

Sorry, I'm asking to do it the right way rather than the easy way.

Perhaps what you consider the right way is limited by your personal perspective and intended use for the design.

I contend your perspective of right does not necessarily reflect my perspective of right. ;)

Nothing says you cannot build the box to address your intended application. As long as the internal dimensions are held constant, I see no reason why it would not perform similarly considering how you plan to use it. The front bezel and side baffle performance will most likely be overwhelmed by reflections coming off the flat piece of glass sitting on top of it. With no way of correcting placement angle and focusing directivity to the listener, performance will always be compromised anyway.

Just a thought.