The "Elsinore Project" Thread

The pic is for a 18,000mH part. Is that truly the part you are getting?

In many(most?) countries the integer and fractional parts of a number are separated with a "," not a "." like in the US.

Alternate punctuation for separating thousands are also used.
The US uses a "," but many countries use "." or just a space.

It would be helpful if there was a website that summarized this information for all countries, but I haven't been able to find one.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Joel,

I am using a Erse Super-Q, 16AWG, laminated 18mH steel core. You can get them directly from Erse (ERSE - Super Q). I ordered all my inductors and all the film caps save for C1 directly from them. Be advised, even if they indicate something is out of stock, it usually isn't (or at least not out for long). BTW, Jantzen makes a big ole toroidal air core in that size. (Jantzen 18mH 14 AWG C-Coil Toroidal Inductor 255-844). Far from cheap though!

Thanks. That Erse looks good and built like the 9 I have..

Joel

If it really was 18000mh (18 h) it would be the size of one of the cabinets! There's a company in Aus called Speakerbug which stocks the Jantzen range of Xover components. I didn't know of them when I originally built the Xovers so I used some much less specialized suppliers. In my redo I think I'll use Jantzen for all the components. At present only C1 is a Jantzen superior Z cap and I did notice quite an improvement when I upgraded to it. (previously a Solen SCR cap). I emailed Joe Ras at the time only to be told that he was also using Jantzen. Hmmm, wish I'd known. Should have been reading this forum!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Any news on the am

All done just have to find some foam and cardboard to wrap them up in then i,ll post them to Joe on Monday.

Thanks Joel for supplying the Waveguieds.

Jdjake if it still alright I,ll send you a pm for postage costs when i know exactly.

Thanks for helping out guys appreciated.

Any news on the Hamlets yet. My Elsinores are working beautifully and sound great and now I would like to put my extra drivers to work in a Hamlet. Please let us know any news on the Hamlets.

BTW, what happened to Joe? Hope he is OK.

Last edited:
Hamlets MKV

Hi all
The hamlets are at Joes house but were damaged in transit.

They had been repackage by the courier company at some stage as I didn,t put tape on the boxes,and looks like the transport company isn,t going to come to the party.:mad:

Good news although not ideal they can be repaired with something like sellys plastibond etc.

Francois G the hamlets were built by myself with the help of Joel and Jdkjake so Joe could design the crossovers.

Joes busy at the moment and the crossover design will take up alot of his time. (4 ohms or 8 ohms)

But first things first the hamlets need fixing and I live 5000kms away i,m not keen to jump on a plane to fix them.

Anyone in Sydney willing to spend a fews ours fixing them for us would be greatly appreaciated.

Cheers Spoonted

Attachments

• 2012-04-25_14.29.57.jpg
    2012-04-25_14.29.57.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 685
  • 2012-04-25_14.30.32.jpg
    2012-04-25_14.30.32.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 659
  • 2012-04-26_13.29.13.jpg
    2012-04-26_13.29.13.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 649
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi spoonted,

Good to near Joe is busy but otherwise fine.

Thanks a lot for the update on the Hamlets MkV and condolences for the damage. Hopefully someone closer to Joe (in km) will step up to help with the repairs. Unfortunately I'm about 15000 km away.

I've been playing my Elsinores for two+ weeks now and they are sounding better and better. Certainly the best speakers I've had the pleasure to listen to in my home, including a pair of Soundlabs (at original price of about US$10000). Admittedly my hearing is deteriorating and these will probably the last major speaker build I will do (after my Hamlet).

Thanks again to Joe and all contributors like yourself with the Hamlet box, original waveguide and such.

Francois

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Built up and mounted the crossovers...

Got some time today to finish up wiring the crossovers. They are mounted in the bottom shell of the enclosure. There is a top piece that will seal them up.

Need to make a couple speakON cable harnesses that will connect the crossovers to the speakers themselves. I got started on those, but, ran out of time.

Hope to work on those this week if the day job permits. Man, I am so close, I can taste it!

Attachments

• IMG_3999.jpg
    IMG_3999.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_3992.jpg
    IMG_3992.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_3994.jpg
    IMG_3994.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 601
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Got some time today to finish up wiring the crossovers. They are mounted in the bottom shell of the enclosure. There is a top piece that will seal them up.

Need to make a couple speakON cable harnesses that will connect the crossovers to the speakers themselves. I got started on those, but, ran out of time.

Hope to work on those this week if the day job permits. Man, I am so close, I can taste it!

That's Beautiful.. Amazing looking layout

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Got some time today to finish up wiring the crossovers. They are mounted in the bottom shell of the enclosure. There is a top piece that will seal them up!

I have completed my Mk Vs about two weeks ago and they sound great! My crossovers take up the entire area of the bottom of my speakers and I don't hear any L interaction.

So, Jake's CO experimentation and implementation experiments were moot in my case, but very interestig at the same time. I'm looking forward to near about his results, but I expect in the real world these parts placements don't matter so much.

eerless HDS 810921 or ScanSpeak D2608/9130

Looking for informations concerning the tweeter used in the Elsinore project, I've read on Troels site that the Peerless HDS 810921 is now referenced as ScanSpeak D2608/9130.

Both reference are sold at about the same price in europe, are they any difference between this tweeters ? Same product but not build in the same factory ?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I have completed my Mk Vs about two weeks ago and they sound great! My crossovers take up the entire area of the bottom of my speakers and I don't hear any L interaction.

So, Jake's CO experimentation and implementation experiments were moot in my case, but very interestig at the same time. I'm looking forward to near about his results, but I expect in the real world these parts placements don't matter so much.

Perhaps that is true. But is not the point of the exercise to optimize the details to allow the whole to shine?

At this stage, all of my audio optimizations are small incremental improvements designed to minimize the introduction of potential distortion, noise and intermodulation artifacts. DIY makes it possible to choose the compromises and take improvements to a level not practical for a commercial builder.

Besides, it's fun! :D

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Looking for informations concerning the tweeter used in the Elsinore project, I've read on Troels site that the Peerless HDS 810921 is now referenced as ScanSpeak D2608/9130.

Both reference are sold at about the same price in europe, are they any difference between this tweeters ? Same product but not build in the same factory ?

They are the same part. Might want to go back a few posts for some additional details:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/97043-elsinore-project-thread-110.html#post2977851

(follow the link above)

Joined 2004
Paid Member

Jake,

Apologies, my "short-hand" writing did not come out quite right. It was late.

What I meant to say was that I found your experimentation very interesting, and should have added that since I had just finished my speakers I'm going to enjoy them for a while. When the DIY bug bites again I will be looking at your CO arrangements very closely.

I speculated that I would not hear much of a difference because I arranged my inductors as best as I knew how to (without the benefit of personal placement experimentation), based on various reading on the topic.

The entire bottoms of my cabinets are used for the crossovers, so the inductors are quite widely spaced. I decided to leave the CO parts uncovered - hoped it would help with cooling through the 2" opening at the back and about .75 inches elsewhere between the floor and the spikes.

Cheers,
Francois

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Jake,

Apologies, my "short-hand" writing did not come out quite right. It was late.

What I meant to say was that I found your experimentation very interesting, and should have added that since I had just finished my speakers I'm going to enjoy them for a while. When the DIY bug bites again I will be looking at your CO arrangements very closely.

I speculated that I would not hear much of a difference because I arranged my inductors as best as I knew how to (without the benefit of personal placement experimentation), based on various reading on the topic.

The entire bottoms of my cabinets are used for the crossovers, so the inductors are quite widely spaced. I decided to leave the CO parts uncovered - hoped it would help with cooling through the 2" opening at the back and about .75 inches elsewhere between the floor and the spikes.

Cheers,
Francois

No worries my friend, certainly no apologies required!

Just chatting about and fellowship amongst fellow Elsinore builders. :)

I am glad you are enjoying your build. I know they were, like mine, a long time in coming. Can't wait to share opinions and further bantering about. That's what makes the endeavor so rewarding.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Cable building day...

This morning, I built up the speakON interconnects used to connect the crossovers to the speakers.

The process of building these cables went well. Very straightforward as the neutriks are pretty well thought out. It is just a matter of getting used to the components and how they play together. A couple of false starts and re-dos, but, nothing out of the ordinary. I really like these connectors and can highly recommend them.

I ended up braiding the individual cables (seldom used skills developed many, many years ago on baby sister). One cable is a tighter braid than the other by about three braids. I think I like the looser braid better, but, I will probably not go back and re-do the work. They are close enough and I have waited far too long to bring these bad boys to life!

Attachments

• IMG_4000.jpg
    IMG_4000.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_4002.jpg
    IMG_4002.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_4004.jpg
    IMG_4004.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_4017.jpg
    IMG_4017.jpg