The "Elsinore Project" Thread

P

FILLER BOARD

Any suggestions? I can also go with 158x228
when I make the circle template it will have to be for one size board .

Joel

Of the top of my head, the ones Steve made we gave it 1.5mm all round, so that makes it 157 x 227mm - this makes for less tight fitting and matching with the tweeter's position, and also a little gap all round doesn't look bad to the eye if it is ever so slightly rounded off.

Ask Spoonted how it looks as he got one of Steves.

Cheers, Joe R.

Hi Guys

I just had speaker Brad Serhan from Orpheus Loudspeakers come over and spend the afternoon. We've known each other for over twenty years. After listening to the Mk5, his first opportunity to hear that version, he was gob-smacked. He says he went to CES in Las vegas a few months ago and heard the best of the best and heard nothing better and probably not even as good. So I decided to put him on the spot, I aksed him, playing in own music, if he was hearing things he had not heard before on his own familiar music. Yep!

I am afraid that the Mk5 will be the last hurrah. Much of what has been learnt will now be looked at in developing new speaker systems commercially, based on maximising current delivery from voltage sources. That is why the Mk5 design will be made available - and simply be described as the last Elsinores - and details behind its workings will be limited. It kinda goes against the original idea - but in the end even those details will become more obvious, just can't spell everything out at this time. It's just that sometimes you have to close a door temporarily and then re-open when you are ready later.

My recommendation, just build them and enjoy them.

Cheers, Joe R.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
PAINTED WAVEGUIDES

I have to say they turned out rather perfect.

I'll try to get filler boards made next week. I set up for 157 x 227 unless there's is another idea.

After this I can get boxed weight at post office.

Joel

Attachments

• DSC_0251.JPG
    DSC_0251.JPG
    866 KB · Views: 874
  • DSC_0265.JPG
    DSC_0265.JPG
    605.8 KB · Views: 817
  • DSC_0274.JPG
    DSC_0274.JPG
    616.2 KB · Views: 788
Joel,

The waveguides look great.

How might I fit them into a new build (assuming they are on offer)? Would I still need a filler board, or could I somehow flush-mount the waveguide in the top baffle.
That would look much better than the big rectangular cut-out that everybody has now (YMMV).

Thanks,
Lex

By the way: From the photos the waveguides don't seem to have the right depth. Are they 18 mm?

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
HI Lex

The waveguides look great.
Thank's

By the way: From the photos the waveguides don't seem to have the right depth. Are they 18 mm?

The thickness measured 18mm before painting. Painting has added .5mm so were at 18.5mm measured by eye.

How might I fit them into a new build (assuming they are on offer)? Would I still need a filler board, or could I somehow flush-mount the waveguide in the top baffle.
That would look much better than the big rectangular cut-out that everybody has now (YMMV).

I'm fitting mine without the filler. Veneering(raw veneer - .6mm) 18mm mdf should bring the waveguide close to flush on front. I'm using 18mm plywood that is 17.5mm so recessing the waveguide into the sub front panel can make it flush.

The waveguides will be offered as soon as I get the weight at the post office. At this point we have to figure out the best way to receive the payments and then get them built..

Joel

Hi Guys,
I'd like to know how the 831735 compares to the 830875? Could these be substituted for the 830875' without any other modification to the design.

Peerless 831735 6-1/2" HDS Driver

Peerless 831735 Specifications:

Power handling: 100 watts RMS/200 watts max
VCdia: 1-1/4"
Le: 0.88 mH
Impedance: 8 ohms
Re: 5.1 ohms
Frequency response: 38-4,200 Hz
Fs: 38 Hz
SPL: 86.5 dB 1W/1m
Vas: 0.9 cu. ft.
Qms: 3.02
Qes: 0.50
Qts: 0.43
Xmax: 6 mm
Dimensions: A: 7-3/16", 6-9/16" across flats, B: 5-3/4", C: 3-5/8".

830875 Specifications:

Power handling: 50 watts (IEC 2685 18.1)
VCdia: 1-1/4"
Le: 1.3 mH
Impedance: 8 ohms
Re: 6.4 ohms
Frequency response: 20-6,500 Hz
Fs: 48.1 Hz
SPL: 88.6 dB 2.83V/1m
Vas: 0.62 cu. ft.
Qms: 2.67
Qes: 0.45
Qts: 0.39
Xmax: 5.5 mm
Dimensions: Overall diameter 7.18", 6.7" across flats, Cutout diameter 5.75", Depth 3.25".

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Guys,
I'd like to know how the 831735 compares to the 830875? Could these be substituted for the 830875' without any other modification to the design.

Peerless 831735 6-1/2" HDS Driver

Peerless 831735 Specifications:

Want the short or the long answer?

Short answer: No!

Long answer: If you did all of the work that made the 830875 work as intended in this design, no cutting corners or make any assumptions, there might be a possibilty that they work. Who knows for sure. Too many variables. At least a major reworking the crossover. Any idea how long that takes?

Nice price though.

Cheers, Joe R.

Last edited:
Of the top of my head, the ones Steve made we gave it 1.5mm all round, so that makes it 157 x 227mm - this makes for less tight fitting and matching with the tweeter's position, and also a little gap all round doesn't look bad to the eye if it is ever so slightly rounded off.

Ask Spoonted how it looks as he got one of Steves.

Cheers, Joe R.

Hi Joel
I was concerned too, but the gap is fine (looks like it was designed that way)
I think if you tried to match the two faces perfectly it would look like a mistake if you know what i mean.

cheers

Hi Guys

I just had speaker Brad Serhan from Orpheus Loudspeakers come over and spend the afternoon. We've known each other for over twenty years. After listening to the Mk5, his first opportunity to hear that version, he was gob-smacked. He says he went to CES in Las vegas a few months ago and heard the best of the best and heard nothing better and probably not even as good. So I decided to put him on the spot, I aksed him, playing in own music, if he was hearing things he had not heard before on his own familiar music. Yep!

I am afraid that the Mk5 will be the last hurrah. Much of what has been learnt will now be looked at in developing new speaker systems commercially, based on maximising current delivery from voltage sources. That is why the Mk5 design will be made available - and simply be described as the last Elsinores - and details behind its workings will be limited. It kinda goes against the original idea - but in the end even those details will become more obvious, just can't spell everything out at this time. It's just that sometimes you have to close a door temporarily and then re-open when you are ready later.

My recommendation, just build them and enjoy them.

Cheers, Joe R.

Good to hear Joe and the best of luck.

I can here them pushing out the B&W's at Abbey road studios in anticipation of the new king.:D;)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
nice work Joel, they look really good
Yeah, I agree. Nice work.

Cheers, Joe R.

Thanks! I'm very happy with them. The pictures here show some light reflection that looks like a white speckle pattern but they're completely black..

Its spring and going to get outdoors to router the filler.
First going to box the waveguides seperately for shipping alone.

Hi Joel
I was concerned too, but the gap is fine (looks like it was designed that way)
I think if you tried to match the two faces perfectly it would look like a mistake if you know what i mean.

Yeh, I see what you mean.

Joel

Joined 2003
Paid Member
ATTENTION:

ALLUMINUM WAVEGUIDE PURCHASE

Price

$160/pair $240/three plus shipping
$170/pair $245/three including fillers plus shipping

This includes nice screws and have purchased shipping boxes(holds 3)
I kept it as low as possible.. will have to make several 90min round trips with high gas prices..

Asking for cost of waveguides up front
I can get the ball rolling with deposit to get them made
Please purchase max 3 for personal use

will get shipping cost at that time

Shipping

Box size waveguides only 20x20x16mm weight 1.8kg/2 2.7/3
Box size waveguides and fillers 25x18x19mm weight 2.8kg/2 3.2/3
Fillers to be built

Was at the post office and was told the online estimates are accurate.
One thing, it seems that when the weight goes above somewhere between 2 and 3kg we lose "Small Parcel International" and only given xpress or gound and price goes up. Expect to pay what comes up but could be lower and I raised weigh a little just to be shure.. Only pay actual cost. Ground can take 2 months . Small Parcel or xpress is best
Need postal code for US and Canada only.

Examples "small parcel" 2 waveguide only NZ 54.18 GB 50.26

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e1s1

My Postal L1E 3B2 to check rates.

Email me at neverenoughmusic@hotmail.com for Paypal Payment.

Joel

Hi Joel,

At the risk of looking really stupid, I have a question:

Do the waveguides exactly match the mounting plate of the tweeter and does it have matching holes so that the WG and the tweeter are mounted with the 4 screws?
If so, that would be great.

How are the WG's finished? Are they black anodised?

The mark 5's sounded so good I decided to see what upgrading the inductors in the signal path would do. I went from wire wound to flat tape wound from Madison Sound. The difference is subtle at first but with a little listening the midrange really sounds much more clear with the bass notes immediate with no ringing. The whole integration of the sound is better. The cost was about $100 US and well worth it. The Elsinor's are definitely world class speakers. Thanks again Joe for sharing these with us diy'ers. Good luck with your commercial endevor.