The "Elsinore Project" Thread

CCU said:

As a Dane who loves his beer, i must say i like your choose in beverges. But i prefer Tuborg gold...

I tell people down here that my definite impression, and not alone, that more Danes drink Tuborg than Carlsberg. Even Tuborg Green is quite nice on the palate. My brother's favourite I think is called Faxe Fad or something? Do you know it. Recall a certain footballer whose nickname was Faxe, John Jensen, because that was his favourite brew?

I tried Carlsberg Master Brew at 10.6% when at the brewery, mate, that is TOO strong, even for me. I hit the limit at 8%.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Come on, who is going to do the DC Bias Tweeter Cap and report back?

Joe R.

CCU said:

But i'm done building the original cabinets and have had them play 2 weeks now, must say that i am VERY impressed!

Well done!

CCU said:

Now for the center channel, it sounds different not as good as the fronts, but very close! you said you might have some ideas about crossover changes. What did you have in mind?
But it do sound a lot better than a B&W HTM61

In the center channel cabinet i moved the basport in the middel behind tweeter pointing downward

Excellent. A photo or two would be good to show how you did the centre channel, as well as the others.

Did I post a suggested crossover for the centre channel? If I did, I have forgotten and where?

Joe R.

PS: BTW, how far/long by car car would you be from Hellebaek, if I go visit my sister? No plans yet, but would be nice to meet up some day.

Salas said:
Hi Joe,

18V (2 bat. in series) would be better since its only one capacitor you concentrate on, and they will last for years. Down to 12V signal the electrostatic microphony phenomenon is mostly strong is mentioned in the video, so better cover more range higher up. It will be interesting to hear for differences with one vs two batteries as an easy test.

OK on that. Below is what I have set up my Elsinores with 18V - the 1K or similar value becomes a necessity to keep the input to the filter at 0V at all times - some amps will not like it if it isn't included:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Have only just done it and had a quick listen. No huge improvement like that of a single battery, but it does seem to help, so it's pobably the way to go.

Joe R.

danieljw said:
hi joe do you mean a huge improvement from no battery to a battery?

my crossovers are not boxed although working well i may be able to try this soon

-Dan

Sound like you are the man!

If you are using 4.7uF you are currently using two, one per channel. But now you will need eight - have you got that?

If not, as an alternative, go to a Jaycar store and get some 4.7uF/250 MP (metalised polypropolene) - they say they are for crossover in their catalogue if I remember right. They are bright yellow:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=RY6954&keywords=capacitor&form=KEYWORD

They are $9.95 each. I buy them wholesale as I have an account with them, so they are not that expensive to me. If you have one pair already, you only need six. Just make sure that the two channels are the same and the location on one channel matches the other channel.

You can also buy the other bits at the same time:

2 x 100K 1W

2 x 1K 1W

4 x 9V Batteries

4 x Battery Clips to suit battery

That and a handy soldering iron. :D

Joe R.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've have the quad capacitors with 9v in place. Left out the 1k resistor with no problems. Needs some time to go back and forth before I say anything but thought it might be a good time to talk about a recent story.

A few weeks ago a work friend told me that he purchased a new LP called Buddy and Julie Miller - Written in chalk.. RTI 180g pressing

Friend complained about some terrible sibilance causing his tweeters to distort and make this record unenjoyable and asked if I could try it on my systems..

I took it home a few days later. It sort of a country thing whith the two singers recorded, one in center and the other slightly off center and more forward in the mix. I immediatley noticed that there was strong energy in part of the treble that made the singers sound sort of intense I guess, and violins on one track also had this character as well..

The whole time I listened to this record on the Elsinore the tweeter never distorted and had no problem dealing with it but I was aware that the mix or pressing or whatever was not quite right..
I listened to the LP right through and enjoyed it..

Now, I play the record on my second system with scanspeak tweeter and there goes the tweeter breaking up on the S's and C's and distorting, off and on when things are pushed..

I bring Lp to work to give it back and He is amazed that I hear this problem on one system and not the other..

My friend wants to give me the Lp and I insist that he try it again because I know he likes the music but I also appreciated it as well but figure maybe second time through he may find that the problem is minimal so He takes it home for another couple of tries..

Anyway, I come into work today and I'm handed the lp Buddy and Julie Miller- Written in chalk.

Joel

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Joe Rasmussen said:
It occurs me that this topic should be a thread on its own as most DIY'ers can try this and it can be applied to all order High Pass crossovers, both to Tweeters and also Midranges in 3-Way systems (see below). What do you reckon? This is not just an Elsinore tweak.
Maybe the topic should read "DC Bias in Crossovers (mostly Tweeters)."[/b]

Sounds an idea. Shoot me an email with the post numbers you think should be moved. Don't know what to do about the beer.

Sorry Dave, but full-range guys miss out, but maybe they have had an advantage all along. Talk about the last laugh, maybe they had the last laugh first. :D

:)

Very applicable to a super tweeter. Usually a single cap is the only XO making it quite important.

dave

planet10 said:

Sounds an idea. Shoot me an email with the post numbers you think should be moved... Very applicable to a super tweeter. Usually a single cap is the only XO making it quite important.

Let's see what reaction we get among the Elsinore guys and giving them first op. I would start with Post #446, #450 constinues the basic theory in more detail, and #451 by Salas which has an important video link and finally #471 which shows how to apply to other orders.

Very applicable to a super tweeter. Usually a single cap is the only XO making it quite important.

Good point, and when I do my B200 OB I was thinking along those same lines as well.

Don't know what to do about the beer. :)

Uhhh... drink it? :D

Joe R.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member