The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 97 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2011, 03:24 AM   #961
tpate is offline tpate  United States
diyAudio Member

The Elsinores have plenty of bass down to about 38 to 40 hz, or the low string on a 4 string bass. I tuned my port at 33 hz so there is useable bass down to theere. I use a sub, set at the lowest crossover point, 40 hz, to augment the last octave. On most music it isn't necessary. The speakers are not boomy so a bass head probably won't be satisfied with out a sub. I use a variable phase sub amp and it integrates well with the Elsinores.
Old 20th September 2011, 02:00 PM   #962
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Question on your tapping the waveguides. What was the reason you decided to tap completely through the guide? No enough material or just thought there would be added benefit and strength by tapping completely though the guide?
Most of the guides in the picture are just tapped at the back so you can decide which way to use it. Bottoming tap used so its threaded close to the face.

I have three that go through the front. I prefer to make them this way because there is a bit more play to perfectly center the dome and easier to mount the tweeter as the bolts are inserted through the guide and spacers placed around the bolts but if decided not to mount the tweeter this way then theres four holes showing..

If mounting the tweeter to the waveguide was the standard I would havethe waveguides made so the tweeter faceplate rests over Aluminum(more land at the back) and spacers would not be needed. With this, Mounting the tweeter to the subfront would not be possible.

Quote:
bass head
My first thought is that Elsinores are not bass head speakers but have many examples of rcordings with a ton of low bass and this comes through. Same for upper Bass
My room is well controlled with 20 Bass Traps and traps built in to bulk head so Bass isn't boomy and output varies with every recording.. I can sit at the back wall where theres a build up and the bass is heavy there but coloured.

I heard the Edgarhorn Seismic Sub. Now there's a Bass Head Sub and very smooth and relaxed with massive output. No idea how to place and integrate it.

I feel the Elsinore is aTop Quality Studio Monitor but in a Beautiful way. This includes the Bass characteristics..
Old 20th September 2011, 03:22 PM   #963
diyAudio Member

if the Elsinore were a drink, with its sound balance ~ what would it be?
Old 28th September 2011, 07:41 AM   #964
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto88 View Post
if the Elsinore were a drink, with its sound balance ~ what would it be?
That's a very good question.

I won't try to answer it, but I wouldn't mind hearing other's opinions.

Cheers, Joe R.
Old 28th September 2011, 07:46 AM   #965
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Hi Joel

Received the Waveguides today, beautiful work.

To others, I can certainly recommend them. You really have to see them to appreciate what Joel has done and also pay him for his efforts. They are also surprisingly heavy when you feel them in your hand. I saw how much the postage to Australia was.

Also, the Waveguide has been designed so that the HDS tweeter can be mounted first to the Waveguide and then into the box. This is a definite plus as it adds mass at a very useful place.

Cheers, Joe R.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JW_Waveguide.jpg (83.8 KB, 548 views)

Last edited by Joe Rasmussen; 28th September 2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 28th September 2011, 02:41 PM   #966
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
I can't wait for mine to arrive.
Old 30th September 2011, 12:22 AM   #967
diyAudio Member

A friend and I did some measurements on my build of the Elsinores Mark 5. I thought I would pass on a couple of comments that might be helpful to others. I built my own wave guide. When we did our measurements on the tweeter there was a sharp dip around 2K. My waveguide was about 1mm away from the tweeter. When I used some modeling clay to fill in the gap, the dip went away. The whole character of the speakers changed. I listened to them for a few days and really didn't like the way it sounded nearly as well. There was much more space information with the gap and the slight amound of glare was gone. The 1.8uF cap takes some of the glare away but at the cost of about 1/2 db output. I ended up using the 2.0uF. If you are using the Joel wave guide try putting a thin washer between the tweeter and the guide when you mount it to the guide and that should let you hear what I am talking about.
Also, I had tried several lengths of 3" pvc couplings to test the bass. I cut the hole with a hole guide so the fit was very tight. When we made bass measurements there were some erratic anomalies. My friend suggested using duct tape to completely seal the tube to the port. Fixed the problem and let us tune the port to 33hz. After we found the right length I secured and sealed the port tube. The bass got more coherent and lower. Hope this helps.
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:00 PM   #968
warrenm is offline warrenm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpate View Post
...Also, I had tried several lengths of 3" pvc couplings to test the bass. I cut the hole with a hole guide so the fit was very tight. When we made bass measurements there were some erratic anomalies. My friend suggested using duct tape to completely seal the tube to the port. Fixed the problem and let us tune the port to 33hz. After we found the right length I secured and sealed the port tube. The bass got more coherent and lower. Hope this helps.
The glue of most duct tape deteriorates fairly rapidly. You may want to consider roof flashing tape which is designed to last decades.

Regards
Warren in Sydney
Old 4th October 2011, 12:16 PM   #969
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpate View Post
A friend and I did some measurements on my build of the Elsinores Mark 5. I thought I would pass on a couple of comments that might be helpful to others. I built my own wave guide. When we did our measurements on the tweeter there was a sharp dip around 2K. My waveguide was about 1mm away from the tweeter. When I used some modeling clay to fill in the gap, the dip went away. The whole character of the speakers changed. I listened to them for a few days and really didn't like the way it sounded nearly as well. There was much more space information with the gap and the slight amound of glare was gone. The 1.8uF cap takes some of the glare away but at the cost of about 1/2 db output. I ended up using the 2.0uF. If you are using the Joel wave guide try putting a thin washer between the tweeter and the guide when you mount it to the guide and that should let you hear what I am talking about.
I guess my question here is more for Joel. Joel, with your waveguide, is there a gap between the tweeter front plate and the back of the waveguide? Is so, how much of a gap and why?

I guess I do not understand the rationale for a gap (even if the resulting dip in frequency response is audibly pleasing).
Old 4th October 2011, 04:44 PM   #970
diyAudio Member

The gap causes a mechanical dip in the tweeters respose essentially removing the tweeter from the audible output below about 2K without using electrical components. The midrange/woofers are the dominate speakers at 2K. I think the tweeters must be a little rough that low, the fact the signal is out of phase and our natural tendency to be sensitive to those frequencies (Got to do with the length of wave and how wide our heads are) all combines to make this tweek work. I have always been one that judges my system by how it sounds. If something sounds better I use it. In my set up the music is much more involving and the emotion is conveyed better with the gap, so I use it. I have some o-rings that are just the right size to fill the gap and I occasionally slip them in for a comparison but I usually don't get through a whole cd. I will probably get some of Joel's guides to see if this holds true with them. Do you still have a pair available Joel?

Hide this!Advertise here!