The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Finalizing the MkV´s.....

When will the Hamlet go into MKIII with SP drivers (Joe)?

The Bolserst mod was made for a reason. Anyone having the same ideas for the MKVI??

You mean SB drivers I assume. Yes, I will be doing the Hamlet with SB's as well, but right now that is some months away - but I feel drawn to do it.

Re the Bolsert, I have not modeled what it would do to EL-6, but it did change the response in the Mk5 and less upper mid and lower treble. Maybe helped in brighter rooms and also the peak near 4KHz were ameliorated, but in that case I suggested listening further off axis. It also dropped the Z below 250Hz to below 5 Ohm. So for various reasons I was less than totally enthusiastic. In the Mk6 the SB driver when summed with the tweeter has a bit of a depression in 3-4KHz and hence does not have the Peerless peak. Some may even say that it looks a bit like a "BBC dip" response and there are those that like that, although I did not exactly aim for it.

Link to interesting diyaudio.com discussion about BBC dip - some say it's a fallacy anyway. :D

But in reality it comes down to experiment with the amount of toe-in, less toe-in less bright and vice versa, also experiment with the amount of absorption in the room - I love my wall rugs and they really work, mix with various surfaces that also introduces diffusing, like book cases, with books of course. It all makes a difference. :)

Got PP and will send four pairs of Waveguides asap. Picking up second lot of black screws/bolts today.

Cheers, Joe

Last edited:
Now finalised...

COMPLETE WAVEGUIDE KIT - WITH BLACK SCREWS, BLACK BOLTS, NUTS, WASHERS AND STARWASHERS:

EL-6_Waveguide_Kit_Complete_1020W.JPG

Last edited:
Joe:

I sent you a PM last week regarding the purchase of 3 pairs of your waveguides. Have you had a chance to check your mail?

Regards,
Scott

My apologies, it took a bit longer to get the black mounting hardware and also been run off my feet as some major business activity is going on at the moment, but good news is that I can now send out Waveguides within 24 hours of receiving the PayPal payments.

I will answer PM now.

Cheers, Joe

Hi joe
irext has been proudly showing me his elsinores. it started out innocently enough but he heartlessly had me listen to some of his music, and then ruthlessly encouraged me to select music id like and listen to it on the elsinores. so here i am wanting to buy a pair of waveguides. what are the arrangments for purchasing a waveguide kit?
David

Hi joe
irext has been proudly showing me his elsinores. it started out innocently enough but he heartlessly had me listen to some of his music, and then ruthlessly encouraged me to select music id like and listen to it on the elsinores. so here i am wanting to buy a pair of waveguides. what are the arrangments for purchasing a waveguide kit?
David

You wicked man, irext. :D

To get a pair, decided to keep them at $150/pair for now, just use PayPal (joeras@vacuumstate.com) and I will pop in the post.

Cheers, Joe

The White coloured terminal on the tweeter is it positive (normally red) or negative? No info in the package, product description or anywhere on the net...

Yup, white should have been red.

As a quick test, put a battery on it for a second, if (+) goes to the white and the (-) to the other, you will note the tweeter dome will/should jump forward just fractionally. But don't keep it there. Do it quickly.

Cheers, Joe

Yup, white should have been red.

As a quick test, put a battery on it for a second, if (+) goes to the white and the (-) to the other, you will note the tweeter dome will/should jump forward just fractionally. But don't keep it there. Do it quickly.

Cheers, Joe

Thanks, guys. I know the battery drill, but have never used it for a tweeter as it can break and as far as i did know doesnt move enough to be seen. I connected it as "red", now I just have to mount the filter (vibration free rubber band mount) and go fire them up. Thanks for the nice wave guides Joe!! :D

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I'm assembling an Elsinore Mk VI BOM and would appreciate your thoughts on a couple of questions:

1. What are you using for C3? I'm considering three 100uF Pulse X caps from Erse (MPX40-03-100.0), but am open to any cost-effective alternatives.

2. Wire. I haven't decided whether to build an outboard crossover such as the one jdkjake used or build the crossover box onto the back of the speaker, following petefrontiers' lead. I calculate that about 54' of wire will be needed per speaker with an outboard crossover (assuming a 3' or 3.5' umbilical) and far less with the built-in crossover. As far as the wire is concerned, ApexJr. has very inexpensive PTFE-insulated silver-coated copper wire ($0.45/ft). An alternative is DH Labs' T-14 (2 conductor) speaker cable, which is available in bulk at the price of $6.00/foot ($3.00/foot per conductor). What are you using?

Regards,
Scott

Joe told us that there was no benefit using expensive caps for C3. I went with Erse 300.0µF bi-polar caps (ANP10C-05-300.0/PB)

Quite so, note the fairly large value series resistor (that can get quite warm when playing loud) and that means any low ESR value and so on, which is what makes these caps expensive, is a bit wasted. Go for decent quality BiPolar, preferably rated at 100V, they are readily available from regular parts sources, and they do the job more than just adequately. Get Erse and if they are not too expensive, great! Better to put money elsewhere where it matters most.

Cheers, Joe