The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 94 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2011, 03:17 PM   #931
diyAudio Member

Hi Joe,

I have been following this thread for a while and am currently building a set of Elsinore Mk Vs with a work colleague (Ian) who recently passed his crossover PCB artwork to you. I also intend to build 5 of the "Hamlets" to use in conjunction with the Elsinores in a surround setup.
My question is have you worked out the port length and diameter for the Hamlets yet ? and will the hamlets use the same waveguide arrangement with the tweeter that the Elsinores use ?

Many Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 04:40 PM   #932
tpate is offline tpate  United States
diyAudio Member

Anyone wanting to hear Mark V in the Texas area is welcome to come by and hear mine. I live near Dallas. I have them where they can be hooked up to either a tube or hybrid transistor amp. Only cd input though.
Old 21st July 2011, 06:48 PM   #933
diyAudio Member

Is there a suitable waveguide for the Elsinore available from Parts Express?
Old 22nd July 2011, 01:35 PM   #934
ashaw is offline ashaw  Australia
diyAudio Member

If there were would they be being custom made here?

Obviously no.
Old 25th July 2011, 12:39 PM   #935
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
Best part about this effort is the chance to acquire new tools and new skills.
Yeah:-) because of this project I lay my hands on the plunge router and make small rawing rabbids speakers for my son, along with elsinore project since I was in the DIY mood. I will post pictures later...
Old 25th July 2011, 01:16 PM   #936
diyAudio Member

Default Pictures of the progress

Here is my Elsinores in Winchester Green and crossover which I am still tempted to put inside speakers instead of external x-overs and sub project of rabbids. I contacted Joe about waveguides but did not receive reply yet, if anybody else can supply waveguides pls contact me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2586.JPG (109.6 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2588.JPG (122.6 KB, 580 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2590.JPG (245.6 KB, 566 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2585.JPG (175.8 KB, 552 views)
Old 25th July 2011, 01:36 PM   #937
Account disabled at member's request

Dig the deranged rabbit speakers
Old 27th July 2011, 09:41 PM   #938
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbler View Post
Dig the deranged rabbit speakers
Well at least couple of the drivers used, while my son is happy. Pretty usual in HI-FI: one AC has looks, but the other has performance:-)
Old 31st July 2011, 06:06 PM   #939
diyAudio Member

Default Installing Joel's waveguides.

I'm almost there and very excited. Installing the waveguides next as final step.

What is the best way of installing the waveguides in a situation where I had previously drilled the tweeter screw holes. i.e. how are the tweeter and waveguide lined up perfectly?

I'm thinking of placing the loose waveguide over the mounted tweeter and move it around for the best fit. Then mark the screw holes for the waveguide. Hand drilling the holes for the waveguide (with the tweeter removed) will be tricky because I can't use the drill press now.

Better ideas?

Thanks,

Francois
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:47 AM   #940
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois G View Post
I'm almost there and very excited. Installing the waveguides next as final step.

What is the best way of installing the waveguides in a situation where I had previously drilled the tweeter screw holes. i.e. how are the tweeter and waveguide lined up perfectly?

I'm thinking of placing the loose waveguide over the mounted tweeter and move it around for the best fit. Then mark the screw holes for the waveguide. Hand drilling the holes for the waveguide (with the tweeter removed) will be tricky because I can't use the drill press now.

Better ideas?

Thanks,

Francois
The method you have in mind is a good one I believe, but the only thing is that ounce you have the waveguide in position its best to first use a drill bit size close to the size of the hole in the waveguide. Drill this in a little and it should give a good center marks for the pilot holes. The holes have to be right on or waveguide will pull off center. I'm drilling the holes a little larger now so the screws have a bit more play.

I recently mounted the tweeter to the waveguide and like what I'm hearing Maybe my imagination at this point but time will tell
When the tweeter is attached to the waveguide it just feels right to use the waveguide for a very large and stiff tweeter mounting plate. I drilled right through the front of the waveguide(unpainted) for the screws but one could use a bottoming tap and not disturb the front.. Washers used to space the two.

I'll post a picture on the jig to get the two together aligned. Its easy to make and only adds a little extra time.

Joel

Hide this!Advertise here!