The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Can anyone share about power amplifier that is used to drive Elsinore? I'll slowly start buying parts for elsinore every month after payday, can't buy them in 1 shoot :D

My current amplifier:
- mauro penasa MyrefC and old aragon2004
- unfinished AlephJ, all parts populated but I'm too lazy to complete chassis, maybe after completing Elsinore

What I have on my mind is to build F5T v3 @50W if only AlephJ is not powerfull enough, I can use same chassis and capbank.

But what I'm more interested to build is SET tube amp such as 2A3 or 45, is there anyone drive Elsinore with that small output amplifier?

My audio equipment have to stay in bedroom 3mx4m until my 2yrs twin boys are adult enough to understand not to touch their papa toys, then I can move my audio to livingroom.

Last edited:
Can anyone share about power amplifier that is used to drive Elsinore? I'll slowly start buying parts for elsinore every month after payday, can't buy them in 1 shoot :D

I have currently a 30 Watt tube amplifier running Elsinore Mk6s and people are amazed when I play the latest Superman Bluray movie through them via a JLTi upgraded Oppo 105 and as loud as you would want it, massive wall of sound and not bad sound for a movie. Large scale orchestral music? No problem. Rodrigo y Gabriela's live album at truly live SPLs? Unbelievable, and if you guys haven't heard that, then you are missing something else.

Yet, put a monster size amp on them, and they are very high power handling and can produce dangerous levels with ease - but protect your precious ears, OK? :D

No commercial loudspeaker puts a more resistive (easy and non-reactive) load on the amplifier than Elsinore Mk6 as shown below:

EL-6_Z_Phase_Clio.gif

Cheers, Joe

I don't think I am going to need more convincing...my first question...sorry I tried to read through the 180 pages on this thread...but gave up after several pages and still posts from 2007, 2008 etc....where can I get the wave guide? And how much is it?

I was listening to CD's with my Nomex 164's (same drivers) and these are really amazing...(my issue with harshness of the HDS tweeter is my sensitivity, which I am convinced is the xover component on the tweeter, which will soon be tested with new caps)...after that I'll start buying the needed drivers etc.

I pay cash for everything I buy, so I buy small purchases at a time. I.E. I'll buy 4 SB, and then the other 4 and then the tweeters etc, etc...please forgive me if this info is posted somewhere...and if so post the link!

When I first built my Elsinore's I used Solen SCR caps. I listened to them for about 8 Months before I upgraded to Jantzen Superior Z caps. I was quite amazed at the difference they made. I have always been extremely wary of exotic components and the claims made by various people but I can assure you this upgrade is well worthwhile. There was simply just more detail and subtlety to the higher frequencies and a very non fatiguing listen. Not that they were bad before but they were now substantially better. I've had mine for nearly three years now and they still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up on certain tracks.:)

I don't think I am going to need more convincing...my first question...sorry I tried to read through the 180 pages on this thread...but gave up after several pages and still posts from 2007, 2008 etc....where can I get the wave guide? And how much is it?

I was listening to CD's with my Nomex 164's (same drivers) and these are really amazing...(my issue with harshness of the HDS tweeter is my sensitivity, which I am convinced is the xover component on the tweeter, which will soon be tested with new caps)...after that I'll start buying the needed drivers etc.

I pay cash for everything I buy, so I buy small purchases at a time. I.E. I'll buy 4 SB, and then the other 4 and then the tweeters etc, etc...please forgive me if this info is posted somewhere...and if so post the link!

June 6th of June, 2014

IT'S OFFICIAL - ANNOUNCING HAMLET MK2 DETAILS:

<snip>

CROSSOVER:

Crossover_Publish.gif

TWEAKING CROSSOVER:

The L1 listed is 0.47mH, but this is the one Crossover component that those who wish to might tweak - by reducing the value but not lower than 0.33mH. If you do, share your thoughts about the result. Lowering the value will make the midrange a little more forward. At the moment I like the balance that 0.47mH is giving me.

<snip>

That's it for now.

Cheers, Joe

Hi Joe,

I've been quiet and lurking for the past few years waiting for the Hamlet crossovers to be published. THANK YOU!

I have a set of Joel's wave guides and my Peerless drivers, but I did not purchase the tweeters because I was on the fence on whether to get the HDS or the D30s. Have you auditioned the D30s in the Hamlets? Or is the cost difference just not worth it to even warrant an audition in the Hamlets?

I like a little more forward midrange so I was going to start with a 0.39mH value for L1. I'm assuming C1 and L1 are still the two most important components to spend the higher funds on for the Hamlets. I'm looking at the Goertz 12AWG for L1.

If the D30s are still worth considering then I'll probably go that route and drop to the 14AWG Goertz to save a little money and offset the costs slightly.

Thanks again Joe! Can't wait to get these Hamlets built!

- BMF

EDIT: I'm also assuming that if my L4 has a DCR of 0.376 then a 4R7 value for R3 is close enough since 5R2 was the upper range limit for the Elsinores IIRC.

Last edited:
Hi Joe,

I've been quiet and lurking for the past few years waiting for the Hamlet crossovers to be published. THANK YOU!

I have a set of Joel's wave guides and my Peerless drivers, but I did not purchase the tweeters because I was on the fence on whether to get the HDS or the D30s. Have you auditioned the D30s in the Hamlets? Or is the cost difference just not worth it to even warrant an audition in the Hamlets?

I like a little more forward midrange so I was going to start with a 0.39mH value for L1. I'm assuming C1 and L1 are still the two most important components to spend the higher funds on for the Hamlets. I'm looking at the Goertz 12AWG for L1.

If the D30s are still worth considering then I'll probably go that route and drop to the 14AWG Goertz to save a little money and offset the costs slightly.

Thanks again Joe! Can't wait to get these Hamlets built!

- BMF

EDIT: I'm also assuming that if my L4 has a DCR of 0.376 then a 4R7 value for R3 is close enough since 5R2 was the upper range limit for the Elsinores IIRC.

Some light reading,that may or may not help.

link-http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/97922-new-scan-speak-d3004-660000-distortion-tests-4.html

Oh and thanks Joe "The Music Man" Rasmussen for doing the crossover for the hamlets.

Never thought it would have such a huge impact on the presentation of the movie.

Its bloody awesome.

Whats next?
Thinking of doing a Elsinore Extreme using the new drivers.:whacko:
Adding another two bass drivers at the top, do the Elsinores need more bass no, but would look super cool .:D

Once again thanks Joe.

Some light reading,that may or may not help.

link-http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/97922-new-scan-speak-d3004-660000-distortion-tests-4.html

Oh and thanks Joe "The Music Man" Rasmussen for doing the crossover for the hamlets.

Never thought it would have such a huge impact on the presentation of the movie.

Its bloody awesome.

Whats next?
Thinking of doing a Elsinore Extreme using the new drivers.:whacko:
Adding another two bass drivers at the top, do the Elsinores need more bass no, but would look super cool .:D

Once again thanks Joe.

I saw Joe's testing and comments. TBH, it only made me more confused, hence why I asked if Joe had actually auditioned them. I'm leaning towards the HDS tweeters, but didn't want to sell myself short if the D30s only needed slight tweaking in the Hamlets. A friend is building my Hamlet boxes for me as part of a trade, so my total cost for these speakers is very reasonable and I could justify the extra cost of the D30s if it is warranted. I've waited this long to build them so I want to build them and be done with the only tweaking being the 0.39mH vs. 0.47mH in my system.

Last edited:
I personally hate the HDS tweeters! I don't know if the wave guide will fix the issues I have with them, but from what I've read, the D30 are a better tweeter.

And lets talk common sense ( I own and run my own business so I know something and the subject)...Scan Speak wouldn't charge more than twice as much for a tweeter that they manufacture if it didn't perform better than the HDS and it sold better as well...I really don't care what the "tests" show! ---- No one would buy it!!!!---- So the SS 6600 is a better tweeter based on marketing modeling and performance.

Testing equipment doesn't tell you what the human ear hears or how a product sells. Production does tell you something! If A company can consistently sell a more expensive product and also get good ratings from testing, it becomes a simple math problem...which = the more expensive product is better! Yes I know, most people's heads are exploding now! (Those who are HDS Tweeter disciples)

Last edited:
I guess the only way you are going to know is either find some one nearby with a pair of Elsinore's and listen to them or build them yourself and modify them if you are not happy. Otherwise this could go on forever! These so called HDS tweeter disciples do not exist. We are just people who are happy with them. They suit our ears. I'm sure there may be better Tweeters around but everyone,s ears are different and hypothesising about it without listening for yourself is a waste of time IMO. Isn't that what you do when building speakers? Start of with sound theory (pardon the pun), build, listen, measure, modify,listen .... and hopefully end up with a result. I like my Elsinore's with the HDS tweeter and so do many others, perhaps even you might Clausen after a listen . Who knows. Once again thanks Joe.

I personally hate the HDS tweeters! I don't know if the wave guide will fix the issues I have with them, but from what I've read, the D30 are a better tweeter.

And lets talk common sense ( I own and run my own business so I know something and the subject)...Scan Speak wouldn't charge more than twice as much for a tweeter that they manufacture if it didn't perform better than the HDS and it sold better as well...I really don't care what the "tests" show! ---- No one would buy it!!!!---- So the SS 6600 is a better tweeter based on marketing modeling and performance.

Testing equipment doesn't tell you what the human ear hears or how a product sells. Production does tell you something! If A company can consistently sell a more expensive product and also get good ratings from testing, it becomes a simple math problem...which = the more expensive product is better! Yes I know, most people's heads are exploding now! (Those who are HDS Tweeter disciples)

These so called HDS tweeter disciples do not exist. We are just people who are happy with them. They suit our ears. I'm sure there may be better Tweeters around but everyone,s ears are different and hypothesising about it without listening...

I am in Oslo at the moment and about to head up to above the Arctic Circle... Once there will catch up with all the messaging as I will be up there for a number of days and settled in.

The HDS tweeter has a fan club? Didn't know that...? But it is a tweeter with an interesting story and if you ever get to tallk to Russell Storey (Google him), then he will tell you that it has an Australian connection and I don't see why I should doubt what he and Peter Carlini has told me.

Briefly, there was an early Mark 1 version of the Peerless HDS tweeter, not too special but not bad either and Russell thought it could be much better - and with the weight of Peter behind him and importing a lot of Peerless drivers (WES), with those improvements taken on board back in Denmark, gave birth to the current HDS tweeter.

Now this is where it gets interesting, the tweeter(s?) were not made by Peerless, but Scan-Speak made it for Peerless. It was never meant to be a Scan-Speak driver nor compete with them, but the Scan-Speak quality is there. Then in stepped Tymphany and the Gringos bought the lot including Vifa as well. Other Peerless tweeters were now made in Asia, but the HDS continued to be made in Denmark as all Scan-Speak drivers have been to this day. But there was always friction between Tymphany and Scan-Speak and it came to a head when finally Scan-Speak was able to raise its own finance and become an independent Danish company again.

Then the HDS tweeter disappeared from Tymphany's catalogue and re-appeared in Scan-Speak's. To distinguish it from its regular line-up, it was rename the 'Discovery' tweeter and what emerged was a new brand of 'Discovery' - something that must have been a strategic decision for them as those drivers could have been sold under Peerless and Vifa names previously.

BTW, the Tymphany/Scan-Speak fracas(?) also was the catalyst for the SB Acoustics brand of drivers made in Indonesia.

I don't recall me saying anything seriously against the D30, but if I remember correctly, is it not 4 Ohm? So horses for courses.

Can the D30 be used in the Elsinores? I doubt it. It will require a complete re-make-over of the Crossover and who knows, but that low Z is going to be problematic and going for an 8 Ohm nominally Z was a primary requirement.

A 4 Ohm tweeter could be used if it had a very high output and then padded with a series R value that would make it look like 8R to the Crossover, and that might work OK.

When I first came across the HDS tweeter, not only did I like it, but I also recommended it to other professional loudspeaker designers, like Mike Lenehan of Lenehan Audio loudspeakers and the exceptional life of his ML-1:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

We have encountered faulty HDS tweeters from time to time, but from a large sample, but I am aware that it has happened to the D30 as well. Both are pretty good tweeters, but I have not done a D30 with a Waveguide and the HDS tweeter benefit enormously from using a Waveguide.

Off to pack my bag...

Cheers, Joe

Last edited:
Maybe somewhat impertinent, but still --- holidays ??
I'm probably not the only member here from this corner of the world ( arctic Norway), but there can't be many of us..... and the arctic is huge...

Staying four nights in Bodo (last o with a / in it, as you would know and confuse everybody else reading this :D) arriving on the train Saturday morning.

Cheers, Joe

and the HDS tweeter benefit enormously from using a Waveguide.

Off to pack my bag...

Cheers, Joe

Joe ...thanks for the nice write up. And to everyone else, forgive my mini-rant. I have the Scan speak version HDS tweeter, and without going into much more than I have already said, that last post was a result of my frustration with getting these to sound right with my build and a few beers, ;) .

Can someone post a link to info about what a waveguide does.

My limited knowledge of speaker building is part of my frustration! I'll keep reading and I am sure I'll learn.

Irext...also good points...

<snip>

I don't recall me saying anything seriously against the D30, but if I remember correctly, is it not 4 Ohm? So horses for courses.

Can the D30 be used in the Elsinores? I doubt it. It will require a complete re-make-over of the Crossover and who knows, but that low Z is going to be problematic and going for an 8 Ohm nominally Z was a primary requirement.

A 4 Ohm tweeter could be used if it had a very high output and then padded with a series R value that would make it look like 8R to the Crossover, and that might work OK.

When I first came across the HDS tweeter, not only did I like it, but I also recommended it to other professional loudspeaker designers, like Mike Lenehan of Lenehan Audio loudspeakers and the exceptional life of his ML-1:

We have encountered faulty HDS tweeters from time to time, but from a large sample, but I am aware that it has happened to the D30 as well. Both are pretty good tweeters, but I have not done a D30 with a Waveguide and the HDS tweeter benefit enormously from using a Waveguide.

Off to pack my bag...

Cheers, Joe

Thanks Joe! I'll stick with the tried and true HDS...