The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 89 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2011, 10:41 PM   #881
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Another question for those in the states, what are you using for dampening material?

I saw the MCM link for the wool/Dacron bats, but I was hoping to source something local as well as something that supports larger contiguous sections.

I know Dow had a polyester insulation called soft touch a few years back, but, it seems to be discontinued. The market appears to be in wrapped fiberglass (great for homeowners, not so much for speakers).

Ideas? Thanks.
Old 29th May 2011, 12:18 AM   #882
tpate is offline tpate  United States
diyAudio Member

I used the MCM product, found at Acoustic Dampening Pad | LS00916 | Distributed By MCM
I bought four of the small rolls, about $30. Had just a little left over. It is obviously the right material as it sounds right, just the way the directions say, no experimenting necessary. I know it seems expensive compared to the pink stuff, but my suggestion is to use what you know will work. I find it is a lot cheaper in the long run, especially with $4 gas, to let the internet do the "walking".
Old 29th May 2011, 02:05 AM   #883
diyAudio Member

Thanks tpate.

The cost is not the issue, nor is buying online. Fiberglass was never seriously in consideration. I was just looking for a local alternative to support the local economy. I try to do that when practical. Plus, you never know where that local contact will lead. I met some great folks and discovered some amazing capability hunting down my cabinet material.

In any case, if no one else chimes in, that will most certainly be my path forward.
Old 30th May 2011, 03:53 AM   #884
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
...I know Dow had a polyester insulation called soft touch a few years back, but, it seems to be discontinued. The market appears to be in wrapped fiberglass (great for homeowners, not so much for speakers)..
Dow "Safe Touch". It's being sold here in Columbus as a "test market" I guess. My friend with the speaker company uses it for a particular application in his speakers (not just that though, there are a couple other materials he also uses). I buy it for him here in Columbus and ship it to him in Brooklyn.
Old 30th May 2011, 01:37 PM   #885
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by critofur View Post
Dow "Safe Touch". It's being sold here in Columbus as a "test market" I guess. My friend with the speaker company uses it for a particular application in his speakers (not just that though, there are a couple other materials he also uses). I buy it for him here in Columbus and ship it to him in Brooklyn.
Which stores in Ohio stock it?
Old 30th May 2011, 08:48 PM   #886
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
They have some at the Broad Street store. I think it's only in Columbus. Some other Columbus stores may also have it, but that was the one close to me which still had some in stock. The one nearest to where I live stopped carrying it.

They said "because they always sold out of it, they stopped carrying it". Seems silly to me, just ask for MORE??? I thought that's the point of having a store, right, to SELL stuff? Maybe the clerk I was talking to just wasn't the best at communication - maybe he meant that they couldn't get much to stock so they decided not to bother selling it anymore...

Last edited by critofur; 30th May 2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 1st June 2011, 01:29 AM   #887
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
Just want to point out that 2uF is what I ended up recommending, but I do also recommend that some experimentation with that value is worthwhile and also to share and provide feedback.

The reason: The Waveguide makes even small changes to the 2uF much more noticeable than without it, maybe not an exxageration to say that it may makes as much as three times more noticeable. So changing from say 2 to 2.2uF is only a change of 0.2uF, but sonically may have the effect of 0.5uF or 0.6uF under other circumstances.

The reason is that the Waveguide's "gain" is controlled by the value of this cap.

So even tweaking this value in 0.1uF increments may be worthwhile, but if you try it, share it with the rest of us.

Cheers, Joe

PS: Thanks ptate for a short concise 'review' - very nice.
As per your prompt, I've changed from my original 2uf to a 1.8uf Jantzen Audio Superior Z-Cap, and there is remarkable difference. In particular, recordings of the "lesser quality" , ie those not considered audiophile type, are more pleasent to the ear with both an improvment in the dynamics in the bass/mid range while attenuating the top end slightly- without loosing clarity. On that point, the clarity has improved somewhat dramatically with the reference (audiophile) tracks I used to differentiate between the caps- difficult for me to explain, but there seems to be an improved "harmonics quality"- in particular, certain piano passages now sound amazingly different. In summary, I'm extremely happy and amazed with the change so far. For me, its the sound Im after.
For what its worth, I reccommend the experimentation and the Jantzen cap
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:47 AM   #888
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
Waveguide Purchase 2 Invitation

I have one pair of Aluminum Waveguides for my speakers.

Notice 2 small changes:
The rear pocket finishes with a taper to alow for one set-up in the lathe.
The screw holes are moved close to the outside.

This pair was machined in a way that I will now use clear Powder coat for this pair but can paint a batch black as well. Personal taste here.

Note: There has been inquires. Maybe some, understanably, dont read all the posts but I need 5 pairs paid up front to make it work. $160can/pair

I can wait until the end of next week(June 5) if anyone is interested. The machinist can start the following week.

Joel
so Joel , just to clarify , is that for one pair powdercoated black ? and shipping to the USA ?

yes i want a pair .

cheers Woody
Old 2nd June 2011, 03:47 AM   #889
diyAudio Member

WAVEGUIDE PURCHASE DETAILS

WAVEGUIDE Machining Starts June 6.
Painted following week. Colour is Black like that on post 804

Price: $80 Canadian dollars for each Waveguide or 160/pair. Must receive money no later than June 5 at day's end. Paypal preffered

Shipping is extra and pay actual shipping cost at that time.

Please send private message through this forum

Thanks, Joel
Old 2nd June 2011, 04:47 PM   #890
diyAudio Member

RE: Waveguides... How much time does the machinist actually have to spend on setup? Isn't aluminum cheap? Seems like even $80 a PAIR would be expensive - don't see why they cost so much

Hide this!Advertise here!