The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 77 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2011, 04:19 AM   #761
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Someone has finally found out what he's been missing all these year's. Welcome to audiophile world.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:09 PM   #762
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonted View Post
Hi all,

Please take into consideration half the time i,m not sure what you guys mean when describing different aspects of a speaker so feel free to educate me with my laymans description.

Jeez Joe now youv'e done it.

Cheers spoonted.
spoonted, you provided a perceptive description in understandable language - no mambo jumbo. Thanks for sharing your impressions and congratulations with your successful Mk 5.

Thanks again to Joe.
Old 20th March 2011, 09:00 PM   #763
diyAudio Member

WAVEGUIDES without 45 going to be made this week.

Steve at Creative CNC is ready to make all that is needed.
Old 20th March 2011, 09:40 PM   #764
diyAudio Member

Just so you know, watching who might want these but first get them in my hands and produce good pictures..

Ben(2 pairs), Luke, Franco I think thats all so far.

Joel
Old 21st March 2011, 01:42 AM   #765
diyAudio Member

Talking Liquid gold in my ears

Hey Guys
Just spent large portion of the weekend listening to MK5 (the missus a little bit cranky!!)

Some old favorites, some new ones!.......

Its just like I got a new CD collection ...again

Lower register is tighter and more defined...but still dynamic...clear, tight and deep.
Music sounding more "3D" than ever

Thanks Joe, you've done it again....

For what its worth, my reference is Aja- MoFi Gold (try and find one!). It will take you breath away on the Elsinore MK5's. Production values on this recording are killer.

Go forth and listen.
Old 21st March 2011, 11:58 AM   #766
diyAudio Member

Spoonted and Greanpea
Both of you are securing my expectations.

Have to wait for Waveguided to get going again

Going to visit this place. 20 min drive in north country. I'll take Joe's advice and ask about Black

Flashfire Coatings
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:00 PM   #767
dodo is offline dodo  Poland
diyAudio Member

I think Waveguide from Monacor WG-300 could be quite well used in this design , (of course it would be necessary to remove the front plate of the tweeter ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wg300wymiary.jpg (39.7 KB, 597 views)
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:06 PM   #768
dodo is offline dodo  Poland
diyAudio Member

attached pictures Wavegiude from Monacor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wg300front.jpg (37.9 KB, 581 views)
File Type: jpg wg300tyl.jpg (37.7 KB, 564 views)
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:45 PM   #769
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo View Post
attached pictures Wavegiude from Monacor
I have a pair of those Monacor Waveguides here. I actually have then with the monacor DT300 fitted to the Linear Current Loudspeaker (which was supposed to have become DIY and now has taken on a commercial tangent).

This Waveguide is OK for larger domes and this is not suitable for the Elsinores. Also they are two deep and the offset (how far they are mounted into the box relative to the position of other drivers) is too deep.

But it would have been nice to have bean able to buy a WG of the shelf, and I did look around.

Mind you, if I was doing the Elsinores from scratch, the Morel CAT378 did catch my eye as worth trying. It is 8 Ohm and sensitivity looks about right, so does the Z plot. It would have made the front panel construction of the Elsinore boxes simpler too.

Click the image to open in full size.

But alas, I don't think that will happen as chaninging that driver would need a full redevelopment of what I have just done with the Mark 5, and pretty sure the Mark 5 will be the last - and the proviso has always been that any earlier Elsinores can be upgraded to latest spec, and this is about the stage where I can see the limit has been reached. Not putting that in concrete, but that's my thinking now...

Cheers, Joe
Old 25th March 2011, 01:08 AM   #770
panord is offline panord  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Internal crossovers

Hello all. I've been following this thread for a long time. I finished my build of the Elsinores (MK3, then 4 - I'll get to MK5 when I can figure out the logistics of making the waveguide) about a year ago and I grow more happy with them everyday. Everyone talks about the dynamics, but I have been impressed by the way they disappear for such a large speaker. Over the past year, I have been focusing on making improvements to the front end (new DAC, refining the computer playback, etc...) and each time I make an improvement, the strengths of the speakers actually get hi-lighted even more. Thanks Joe for designing a great speaker!

Anyway, my question is a simple one, I think. I currently have the crossovers in an external box. I would like to move them inside the cabinet so I can clean up the wiring and eliminate a connection - and just to get the crossovers out of the way. Are there any issues with putting them inside, or would the cabinet size need to be adjusted to account for the volume the crossovers would take up?

Hide this!Advertise here!