The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 74 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2011, 02:51 PM   #731
diyAudio Member

"I've read completely through this thread and I'm thinking this may be the last pair of speakers I'll ever need (HA!). "

Have Two years with them and there is no other speaker I've heard that I would replace them with. My music collection continues to expand in many directions. I believe its due partly because of the overall Balance of the Elsinore. The new changes should secure my feelings nicely..

Joel
Old 24th February 2011, 07:49 PM   #732
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
Thanks Joel. I was more laughing at myself than anything else.

But I must say that the Elsinores seem to have achieved the goal of putting a world class speaker within the grasp of most audiophiles and that's a great accomplishment. After reading about the development process and the many accolades from builders I've decided they're worth taking the risk and buying the reasonable but still expensive components.

The proof will be in the listening and I will definitely document my build and add my story to the growing body of information about this design. I really appreciate all the time and effort Joe has put into developing it and putting it all out there for everyone to build. It's incredibly generous on his part, especially considering the patience he's had dealing with people's questions and requests.

Thanks, Joe.

Old 27th February 2011, 03:34 AM   #733
diyAudio Member

Hi Joe and steve,the new waveguide fits like a dream and looks great too.
So glad i did not have to make that......

Originally was going to paint the cabinet 2 pak gloss but have decided to go a paperback wood veneer,so for now i am going to put a quick coat of paint on in the next couple of days then i,ll take some photos of the waveguide in place for all.

Pretty close to finishing the crossovers (waiting on 9R and binding post).
I'm far from a sparky so i,ll post the picture here and if anyone can see mistake please let me know.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_11911.jpg (522.0 KB, 540 views)
Old 27th February 2011, 07:42 AM   #734
diyAudio Member

Gday Spoonted (and all the rest)

Happy to hear that the WG is too your liking Your Xover is looking nice!

To those who are chasing the WG group buy.
Please note that I hadn't received any PM. Donít know how, or why.
Anyhow, it would not make any difference to me if I made 1, 10, or 20 pair. They are a pain in the **** to make, and are hand finished. I do use a jig to ensure the WGs are accurate and consistent, but each is hand finished.
It took me two weekends of trial and error to determine the jig layouts- a method of making the WG to be "batch orientated"- Two router bits modified to match the dimensions required- each of them cost $60 a piece- and takes between , I hazard to guess, 2-3hrs per WG. As most of you know, working with MDF (particularly using a router), is a very very dusty business (NB the dust is not health food either), and something I approach carefully. (For those who are interested read up on the MSDS for MDF, I guarantee it will shock you).
So if you want to make them yourself, the drawings are there, so help yourselves- go for it. I have no problem with that at all.
To those who want to buy one, contact Joe. As Joe previously suggested, you may be able to save on postage for a group quantity.
I only offered to make and sell the WG to get into the spirit of DIY audio and enable all of you a hassle free opportunity to enjoy MK5 Elsinore listening, definitely not to make money.
Old 28th February 2011, 01:33 AM   #735
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
I cant help but think a CNC machine is the way to go with these, either MDF or Aluminium or some sort of resin/plastic.
Old 1st March 2011, 12:39 AM   #736
diyAudio Member

I've contacted a local company that does CNC cutting and recieved response below. If the price is right it could be nice but thinking it will be expensive. I was asking for price on multiples so I'll see what happens. I"ll state the price given to me for anyone interested..

Greenpea, is it possible to explain what router bits you used for the top and bottom radius? I cant seem to visualize what they might be. If the price below is unacceptable I will have to tackle myself.
Thanks, Joel

Hi,
i looked quickly at your drawing.
..to cut from plastic may be expensive to get acrylic that thick, It would look fabulous tho.
the next dense,cheap thing i think is MDF. Acrylic paint and it should look fine.
I'll have to draw your piece onto my CAD/CAM to see cut times.
I'll get back to you soon with pricing.

Thanks,
Old 1st March 2011, 01:18 PM   #737
diyAudio Member

Hello, I've been following this thread and thought I would send the waveguide dimensions from post #718 to a friend of mine that has a cnc machine. His response is below. Joel, I hope I'm not butting in. If so, I'll back out.

Hey Tom,
One option would be to cut them out of MDF and let each builder paint them. You could also use mahogany.
Another option if they needed to be finished would be to cut them out of MDF and have a thermo-foil added to them, which is a thin plastic laminate. I could ask around. Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 1st March 2011, 05:19 PM   #738
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom42107 View Post
Hello, I've been following this thread and thought I would send the waveguide dimensions from post #718 to a friend of mine that has a cnc machine. His response is below. Joel, I hope I'm not butting in. If so, I'll back out.

Hey Tom,
One option would be to cut them out of MDF and let each builder paint them. You could also use mahogany.
Another option if they needed to be finished would be to cut them out of MDF and have a thermo-foil added to them, which is a thin plastic laminate. I could ask around. Let me know if you need anything else.
Guess I didn't really finish this post. He is ready and willing to make them. I will get the final price and post it.

Tom
Old 4th March 2011, 11:18 AM   #739
diyAudio Member

No Problem Tom

I'm still waiting for the price from Creative Cnc

I have another possible contact now and waiting for a friend to get me to see this person

If and when I get someone to make them I was going to state the price I get for anyone that would like a pair.

Tom,If your guy is ready then go ahead.

Joel
Old 4th March 2011, 12:21 PM   #740
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post

I'm still waiting for the price from Creative Cnc

Joel
Hi Joel

I've replied to your email, belatedly. Sorry about that.

But it sounds like some good things will happen and making the Waveguide available...

But really, at this stage Steve is the man when it comes to details of how he made them. From very basic instructions he produced a small masterpiece. But his intention was never about the dollars.

We discused, before we put posted the dimensions at post #718, and so it is clear that we welcomed others to make them if they wanted to take up the challenge. I only ask that they be made in the same spirit that Steve did.

For anybody who want to make them, I just reiterate: Keep this in mind, it is the shape of the Waveguide that is important, not how it is achieved. And then provided it is made of decent material, solid, not flimsy and securely fitted and no rattles. That's all.

Sorry if I have been missing in action lately, I lost a dear friend a bit over a week ago and I'm quite frankly feeling it, also made and received many phone calls and spent much time talking with other friends who knew the person. I am of course speaking of Allen Wright.

But life must go on...

Joe R.

Hide this!Advertise here!